Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mi familia hondurena (My Honduran Family)

It's Friday evening in San Joaquin de Flores, Costa Rica. Jorge and Ester are home from Guapiles for the weekend. Their children Claudia, Ana, Eduardo Josue, and Samuel are all home. Dona Ruth (Jorge's mom) emerges from her little room. The table is set. The food is ready. But before dinner starts, Jorge pulls out his Bible and selects a couple passages to read aloud. He passes the Bible to Samuel and has him read one of the passages. When he's finished, Jorge looks around the table, making eye contact with each person present. He starts to speak in a gentle yet serious voice: saying beautiful, uplifting words. A blessing. It is a blessing for every person seated at the table and he locks eyes with each one as he blesses them. My heart is filled, encouraged and well, blessed. My stomach forgets how late it is. Then, Jorge starts reciting "And the same evening Jesus was taken away to be crucified He took bread....." He passes around the homemade unleavened bread that Ester made and pours out grape juice and wine according to the respective wishes of each person. Then, we take the Lord's Supper together - communing with one another and with our Lord. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever been a part of. Then, Ester gets up and brings out dinner. YUM!!!

This is the Viera family. I have mentioned them before, but I can't remember what I've said. I only know I've told you that I will tell you more about them. Well, here they are.

Eduardo Josue is in the front. He is about 4 months younger than me - he is a phenomenal clarinet player and is part of the National Youth Symphony Orchestra. He plays at church on the worship team and helps out with a multitude of other things. He also works at a camp and all the kids LOVE him!

The red headed gringa in there is my dear friend Marsha. She has also done missions work in Costa Rica. She joined us at Pan e Vino for Josue's birthday dinner. I have known her since I was in 8th grade!

Next in is the youngest, Samuel. He plays the cello and is skilled at telling HILARIOUS jokes. He also helps a lot with sound tech stuff at church.

Jorge is the man in the hat. I admire him so much. He works for Chiquita banana in Guapiles during the week, but always comes home on the weekends to be with his family and go to church.

Next in is Ester. She is a gifted painter and sells Herbalife products. She is a fantastic cook and teaches me a lot in the kitchen!

The one standing up and leaning in is Ana. She is a year and a half older than me. She currently works in accounting for Dole (the fruit company) but is just opening an online travel agency. She often sings in church with the worship team and does worship dances with her older sister, Claudia.

Claudia choreographs the dances that she, Ana and others do in church sometimes. Her real passion is young children. She is a spectacular kindergarten teacher! She is also a talented painter. She is planning in getting married in late March (or perhaps early April) to a wonderful man named Rolando (not my Pastor Rolando).

On your right the last, but far from least is Dona Rut(h). I'm not sure if she uses the "h" or not. It's not pronounced. She is one of the dearest old ladies you will ever meet. She calls me her hermanita, little sister. And she likes to show me her photo albums of her family and other loved ones. I'm pretty sure she was born in Colombia. I'm not sure how she got to Honduras, but as far as I know that's where Jorge and Ester are from.

The Vieras moved to Costa Rica about 2.5 years before I studied abroad there-so now it's been 4.5 years. They came on account of Jorge's work with Chiquita banana. I'm SO glad to know them! This morning I was chatting with Ana and she invited me to live with them after Claudia gets married! She said "there will be room for another sister!" So, I think that will be the plan. I was thinking of living with a family from church at first and then eventually getting my own apartment. But, at the Viera's house, I feel 100% comfortable. Mi casa tu casa is the rule. I am welcome to whatever food is there, I can invite friends over, I can watch a movie, use the wifi, use the phone, etc. So, we'll see. But, at least now you know why I love these people so much!

No comments: