Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tico Tuesday, July 12th

Stop and smell the...geraniums?
Over the past few weeks I was housesitting for some good friends here. Along with taking care of the dog, I had to water several flourishing potted geraniums. Having already killed a chrysanthemum and basil plant of my own, I was hoping the geraniums would not suffer under my care. Thankfully, they continued to thrive and one was sprouting this beautiful new blossom just yesterday when I watered them before their owners returned. Why am I telling you this? Because I've realized I've been living full throttle lately and I need to slow down. I need to admire the flowers as they unfurl (I wish I would have had time to sit and watch this one!). I need to take time each day to stop. To re-center myself on the Lord. To take some deep breaths. Maybe life wouldn't be so crazy if I stopped interrupting myself in whatever task I'm trying to accomplish 17 times an hour. Ok, so I made that number up, but my point is, I want to be a better steward of the precious time God gives me and I want to be more focused. More focused not only on whatever I'm doing in the moment, but more focused on God--more aware of him and what he is doing in and around me. I want to learn what it means to do everything as unto the Lord. And I've realized part of what helps me focus is   S l o w i n g   D o w n . Closing my eyes and taking some deep breaths. Engaging fully in the moment and enjoying it --not constantly letting my mind move on to whatever is next. That's not easy. But I am convinced it is very important. What helps you focus, slow down, and be more aware of God?
May God attune our hearts to his and draw us closer to himself each day,
Carrie

No comments: