Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tico Tuesday, November 3rd

Happy Tuesday to you all!

Can you tell what this is?

It's a monkey!! We saw monkeys twice on our trip to México de Upala. We also saw marzipan trees, people drying out rice, trees that grow palm hearts and pejibayes, lots and lots of banana plants, a little green snake, a tarantula (I didn't actually see it and I'm ok with that, but I have the pictures someone gave me), floating ant colonies, and some little minnowy-tadpolish things swimming in what was once the soccer field. At night, I got to fall asleep to the sound of cows mooing. I have never heard such mooing before it my life!! At first I thought it might be frogs since our hotel was right next to a river, but our room was on the far said and eventually I figured out what it was. Oh life in the campo!

Head to the blog to read about my cultural experience yesterday-going to the dentist! Http://smithcj1.blogspot.com/


Yesterday I went to the dentist for the first time in waaaaaaaaaay too long. Shame on me. Not only was it my first time going to the dentist in a Spanish speaking country, it was also my first time going to the dentist without my mom. I know I have to grow up someday, but it was weird not having Mommy there to make all the decisions for me. Thankfully the dentist I went to is a lady from church (who did all those extractions in México de Upala), so she knew me and that made me feel more comfortable.

It was really nice to not have to fill out any paperwork. I kept expecting the clipboard with pages and pages of medical and insurance questions and junk, but it never came! Karla is responsible though, before giving me the needle she did ask me if I had diabetes or anything like that.

Even though I had a lot of cavities :-(, Karla could tell I floss and brush regularly :-). I talked with a friend last night and we agreed that brushing and flossing just aren't enough to keep you from getting cavities, at least once you hit your 20s. I'm gonna have to look into fluoride or mouthwash or something... Karla mentioned fluoride after fixing all my cavities. But, I checked with my parents, and the price is definitely right for getting dental work done here!! So thanks be to God for that!

Anyway, toothbrushing is pretty much a national habit. Pretty much everyone carries around a tube of toothpaste (not even necessarily travel size) and a toothbrush. I like that. I have a thing with toothbrushing, if you didn't know....It all began with Sb (left), my roomie from college. Keegan (middle), our suitemate often joined in too!

Here I am brushing with some of my cousins!

You almost can't tell, but I'm brushing in this picture too. They wouldn't let me spit before they took it! Jajaja!!

Keep brushing and if you haven't been to the dentist in 6 months or more--GO!

No comments: