Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tico Tuesday, March 23rd

ONE YEAR!

One year can seem to take an eternity. But for me this past year went by like a cop going after a guy who is speeding. I have now officially been a missionary in Costa Rica for a year! Glory to God! I have learned and grown so much. There have been numerous challenges, frustrations and tears shed, but God has unrelentingly proved to me His love, goodness, faithfulness, presence, sufficiency, grace and forgiveness. I believe that God has also been at work through me and pray that He continues to do so. Many thanks to all of you, dear readers, prayers, financial supporters, encouragers, loved ones. 1 year down, 2 to go, and we'll see what God has in store for me after that! See how I celebrated my one yeariversary on the blog!

God's joy and peace be with you all!

Carrie


I went RAFTING!!! It was really fun! I'd been before in Maine, but had never had to chance to go in Costa Rica. (I'll tell you about going in Maine another time) My friend Norina (the only other gringa in our raft)who is at language school in San Jose is in charge of organizing trips for her fellow students and she invited me to come along on the trip. So I went and Ana (that I live with) and Rosbi (a friend of ours from church) came along too. We had a blast!

Breakfast was at a restaurant that had this GORGEOUS view! It's pretty where I live, but nothing like this!! The closer I can be to mountains the better!

I thought the rafting was going to be a whole day with lunch on the side of the river. It was only the morning though. Well, except that instead of pulling out of the river at 1 like they said it was more like 2. My bladder was full and I was STARVING. But anyway, I had SO MUCH FUN!! It was great!

We put in at about 10:30 and did about 20 miles of rafting. The rapids were up to class IV. So, it was enough to be fun and exciting, but there was never anything to worry about.

It was a spectacular trip down, lush greenery was everywhere and we passed several semi-hidden lodge/camp places. What a spot to get away! There were several skinny waterfalls that came tumbling down from the canyon heights and landed in the river. (We were on the Pacuare, which is east of San Jose. I think we started in the province of Cartago and got out in Limon!)

We had a few opportunities to get out of the raft and float along. I took advantage of every one. It wasn't a dreadfully hot day. It wasn't even sunny. But the water wasn't that cold and I love to be in water! Seriously, how often do you get the chance to throw yourself into a clean river and just let the current take you along? And know you're safe? Jaja, well, until the guide tells you to get back into the raft because more rapids are coming.

It was a long, tiring day. We had to get up really early in the morning, but it was worth it. I wasn't even very sore the next day! (Rafting, like kayaking, is a whole upper body motion and not just arm motion. That is why people get sore.)

As we were rafting along I decided that it would have been fun to do crew in college, if it had been available. I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it. I like doing things in sync with others. Walking naturally in step with Mommy for years has been good practice, and cheering competitions drove it into me too. And of course, I love being active outside! Hmm, maybe someday....

No comments: