Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tico Tuesday, March 30th

I have a fan club! One of my friends in Grove City teaches the 5th & 6th grade class at the little Christian academy there. She and her 17 students pray for me every week on chapel day and send me letters and cards from time to time! While I was in Grove City in February I got to visit her class and meet these fantastic kids-it was such a blessing to meet them and get to interact with them! This past week I got another fat envelope in the mail with 18 thank you notes!!! If I were any more sensitive I surely would have cried!! These kids are an enormous blessing and encouragement to me! God uses even the small ones in His Kingdom to minister to others! More pictures and some adorable, heart-melting quotes on the blog!


Megan (the amazing teacher of these kids) wrote me a really sweet card telling me how things are going at our church in Slippery Rock (the next town over from Grove City)

Christian sent me a note all folded and stapled up and the outside had the most precious part “P.S. WE ARE PRAYING”

The last part of David's card said “I hope you love Costa Rica and do not get homesick.” Aww! I must confess I do get a little homesick, but Costa Rica has definitely started to feel more like home, thanks be to God! (A related thought to this coming later)

Caroline wrote, “I think it is really neat that you are a missionary. I hope to be one someday!” May it be so in Jesus' name, dear Caroline! She also drew me a nice picture of a cow

“We've all been wanting to see the missionary we've been praying for.” Thanks Mary! I was so excited to see everyone's face too and try to match them with their names. I didn't have too much success at that unfortunately. My 45 minutes in that classroom were the fastest minutes of this century.

“Dear Miss Smith, Thank you for comming to our classroom. I think you are so beautiful. Have a wonderful day! Love, Leah” AWWWWWWWWWW!!!! She also drew me a cute picture of a monkey.

Mae Julin said “I enjoyed how excited you were to listen to our questions.” How sweet!

Ethan's card was impressive. You see, once upon a time I was walking around outside with my umbrella. I can't remember if it was sunny or raining in that moment, but I was contemplating the multiple functions of my umbrella and was inspired to make up the following haiku.

Legged Octagon

Walks around in sun and clouds

Total Protection

So when the kids asked me about the climate, I shared my haiku with them. Ethan either memorized or copied down the haiku and reproduced it on his card for me! You can see it in the picture. The inside of the card says “Costa Rica! Awesomeness abounds here!” And in his letter he said”The Costa Rican postcard I received is arguably one of the prettiest sights I have ever seen! It's the one with the monkey-type thing in the top left corner and palm trees. Did you like my cover illustration?” (I brought a postcard for each kid and left them with Megan so she could distribute them in a peaceful way after I left.) What a hoot! There is also a drawing on the back with the little octagon man with his umbrella by a palm tree and it says “Hey, it's Costa Rica. What's there to miss?” This kid is hilarious!

Ben drew me an intimidating dragon, “and, if you're wondering why I drew a dragon, well, I felt that there would not be much reason to draw something you already see all of the time. I do hope you can visit us again.” Well, I don't get to see sloths and monkeys and toucans every day. But what a thoughtful perspective to take!

Elizabeth's card also made me go AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! She made me an acrostic (I remember making those in art class in elementary school!) My friend Megan has them all call me Miss Smith so:

Marvelous

Incredible

Sweet

Servant


Super

Miss Smith

Indestructable

Thoughtful

Helpful

and the real kicker. “ I loved your enthusiasm. People in Costa Rica must love you. : ) ” After reading that you could have about knocked me over with a feather!! See why these kids are such a blessing and encouragement to me!!

An Anonymous writer, that I think was Hannah the girl who drew me a sloth last time drew me a horse, horseshoes and hay. “Dear Miss Smith, Thank you so much for coming to see my class. I loved your cool head-band. I hope you like my picture.”

These kids aren't just a fan club-they are a support team that means SO MUCH to me! Thank you God for each one these kids and bless them and their wonderful teacher

No comments: