Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tico Tuesday, April 13th

Yep, missionaries play pool. Don't forget, we are still people. I have to remind myself of that time to time, and I know it doesn't hurt to remind you either. :-) Yesterday I got to meet up in San Jose with a fellow LAM missionary, Cadorsil. It was great to get to know another member of the LAM family! We had a really nice time talking, telling each other what our orientations were like and various things that God has taught us. It was good to again remember that missionaries can and do get migraines, have allergies, act silly at the dinner table, have a salsa/merengue/cumbia lesson, play cards, etc. As we read in cell groups last night, followers of Jesus are to live in and among the world, but live such upright lives that even though we are accused of wrong our good actions will prove otherwise (1 Peter 2.12).

How I got the chance to play pool and a have a day full of exciting fun on my blog!

May God give us the grace to be upright and pleasing to Him this week!

Carrie


Sunday I got to go to El Castillo again! (I'd only been one other time before several months ago). El Castillo is a country club type place where you pay some expensive fee to be a member and have access to cool stuff. And you're allowed to bring friends! So on Sunday, the young adult ministry, Soporte (which is different from the youth group Jovensus) got to go because one of the leaders is a member! Yaay! Pause. Sunday morning my Thursday morning running buddy Albeiro and I went for a run as well. And since neither of us had anything to do but go to El Castillo, we went for a longer run. It was the farthest I have EVER run before in my life! Normally we just stick to San Joaquín and our neighboring pueblito of San Lorenzo. Well, we made it over to San Roque, which is in the next cantón to our northeast, Barva. (We live in the cantón of las Flores). Here is a link to a map showing what we ran. If that doesn't work, try this. It was some 11+km, but that doesn't take hills into account, so it was actually farther. Wow! It was great though. We didn't bring water since we didn't know we were going to go so far. So, thanks be to God some guy was outside watering his plants and let us have a drink from his hose.

Anyway, we went to El Castillo. After everyone introducing themselves and talking briefly about Zephaniah 3.17 (The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.") we headed off to play. A lot of people payed basketball first, but that is NOT my thing nor Albeiro's, so we went and played pool, which we enjoy much more. I lost, but that was to be expected. It was still fun though. Then we played another game with 2 more girls and just barely lost because they put the 8 ball in before we got the chance to do so. Lunch was in the restaurant upstairs. It has a small area where you can eat outside. We ate inside, but went outside to look around. Unfortunately it was a foggy, drizzly day, so the visibility wasn't that great. But if it were clear we'd be able to see pretty much the whole central valley. Amazing! We could still see San Jose somewhat foggily. Oh and for dessert we enjoyed some delicious tres leches (3 milks). It's some kind of cake drenched in 3 kinds of milk, condensed, evaporated, and heavy cream, or something like that. Oh and this one had an extra flavoring of something else that gave it a yummy special kick. And it had raspberry and green something drizzled on top. Not bad for a dessert that doesn't contain any chocolate!

Then came a big highlight: ICE SKATING!!! I hadn't been in YEARS!! I think the last time I went was with Angelika Guy, my first and only time at Ingersoll Arena in good old Auburn, ME in 2003 or so. (My other times in Maine were all at Central Maine Civic Center which is now known as the Coliseé or something like that). Well, I was excited to go again, but most people had never even been before at all! So it was an hour of bliss. Albeiro and I helped Richi's daughters, Michelle and Yuly learn how. It was really fun. Pretty hilarious though. The rink there is TINY!! It's gotta be less than half the size of a normal hockey rink. It's a square and I wonder if they use a zamboni to smooth the ice. Maybe they have mini ones? It's a square, and zambonis don't do corners very well. Hmm, well, maybe special ones exist? I don't know. Anyway, the rink was puny and was in DESPERATE need of a zamboni to make a trip around. The ice was all chewed up and not smooth. Especially around the edges, so poor Yuly and Michelle didn't have it very easy at all. Albeiro caught on pretty well. The toe pick often got the best of him though. I told him about hockey skates and he said “THAT's what I want!!” It reminded me of The Cutting Edge (movie), “toe pick!”

Going ice skating puts me in even more awe of amateur and pro figure skaters. I couldn't lift my foot more than 6 inches of the ground for fear of falling. And I didn't even try to skate backwards. My spins had at least a 5ft diameter. And the thought of jumping was equivalent to the thought of falling. I did managed not to fall though (oh what pride!). Maybe I should have tried something and let myself fall. Oh and this is funny-another friend of mine is a member at El Castillo and he told me he plays ice hockey there! I don't know how they do it! It must be like 1 on 1 or something. 5 people per team would make the ice WAY too crowded. They wouldn't even have to skate around! It might sound like I'm picking on them for having such a puny rink. That is not my intention. I'm just used to a normal sized rink and a little one was entertaining for me. I was happy though. Very happy.

Next I headed to the pool with Yuly and Michelle. Richi (their Dad, one of the pastors of CCI) got in briefly too. The pool was almost as warm as a bath. And it was unfortunately full of people, so swimming laps was a nigh impossibility. Oh well. Time was of the essence anyway. In the 10 remaining minutes I had I made it straight for the jacuzzi. Ahhh! How wonderful and relaxing! I on;y wished I could have stayed in longer. But we had to go. Needless to say, I was a tired girl!! I'm still catching up! But it was a wonderful day!

No comments: