Sunday, January 2, 2011

2 Three Legged Stools

My dear friend and mentor Julie shared a piece of wisdom with me quite some time ago. She told me relationships (with guys) are like 3 legged stools. The three legs are the three comprising members of the relationship. And seeing as how the stool has 3 legs, they all have to be equal or the stool will fall over. The three legs are the physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of the relationship. All three must grow in balance with one another in order to keep the stool upright and capable of doing what it was meant to do. The relationship will not be healthy or work out if it is all physical, or if it has no physical part to it.
Talking with another very wise person lately reminded me of this stool analogy and its truth. He said that many people who go to Grove City (where I went to college) tend to have very close emotional and spiritual relationships, but they are afraid of the physical (I know, this is pretty much the opposite of the rest of the world, which tends to just have physical relationships and not much on the emotional and spiritual side of things). I definitely agree with this observation. I know I was in several relationships in which I got quite close emotionally and spiritually to a guy, and sometimes I even had a crush on him (and I had no clue how he felt about me), but nothing ever became of the relationship. But, considering how close we were on the emotional & spiritual side, there should have been more physicality to reflect that. How often we deny it and say there's nothing going on. Maybe we don't have butterflies in our stomachs, but we need to be careful and guard our hearts and guard the hearts of others. This means I got closer than I should have to a few guys... Well, now I know! And I wanted to share this with you! Let us all be careful to guard our hearts and the hearts of those around us! May God bless us all with wonderful, healthy, well-balanced relationships!!
Oh and the other stool I mentioned in the title is what Fabián told me when I started explaining him the 3 legged stool thing. He said it's also like him, me and God are the 3 legs, and if any leg is missing or not growing, that stool will fall over too! That's for sure! Good point!

1 comment:

Heather's Journey said...

good thoughts!!! I even use the three legged stool for the area of education ....the legs being the home, school, and the church! All three model us and need to be working together. Sadly it doesn't happen that much.