Monday, January 31, 2011

Breaking My Heart

I remember when I wrote my first Entrance reports at Roblealto. This kid “Winston” was the one of the first to break my heart. He sounded like a brat and the report talked about how disinterested he was in participating in many activities at the childcare center. His family is Jehovah's Witness and not terribly open to the Gospel. When I saw his picture, his face matched the attitudes I had read about.


Later, maybe in December, I read an Entrance report about a family that lives on a street that a bus that I sometimes take to work goes to. That really struck me, and made things seem even more real. These children and families we are serving are REAL!! I realized I could see this mom on the bus some day. I might not know it was her, but knowing that the possibility is real just helps me realize how needy this world is and how blind to it we often are.


Well, lo and behold, one morning last week Fabián and I were on the bus to work and I saw a little boy flag down the bus with his mom. It was really cute. They got on and I recognized the face and saw his name written on his backpack. It was “Winston”!! He had the same pouty face still too, unfortunately. Please join me in praying for him and his family!


I've been thinking about a lot of things lately, and I'm not sure I've processed it all. I love Roblealto. I firmly believe it is the Body of Christ in action. God has blessed this ministry phenomenally. It all started with 8 kids in the Bible Home 79 years ago. Now we take care of over 700 kids, between the Bible Home, the school at the Bible Home, 3 childcare centers, and a program for adolescents who have graduated from the Bible Home or one of our childcare centers. Through this ministry, hundreds if not thousands of people have come to know Christ, families have been restored and broken out of poverty, and 95% of the children who use our services don't need them when they are adults. We are currently planning on re-building a house at the Bible Home, which will allow us to expand our program and serve 10 more children. Other projects include a new childcare center that will serve 250 children, a covered gym at the Bible Home so the kids can have a place to play when it rains (which is really often), a roof to cover part of the outdoor play area in a childcare center and a computer lab at another childcare center, just to name a few. There are SO many needs!! I know my job is important, but I still want to do more. I'm working on it... I'll let you know. Care to join me? What would you like to do?

1 comment:

Heather's Journey said...

PRAY! The Lord will open the right doors at HIS perfect timing! Be patient and LISTEN. :)