Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tico Tuesday, June 18th

Alto a la violencia! Un mensaje de Dios. Soy valioso. Vivo libre. Elijo vivir en paz. En lugar de pelear, mejor sonrío. Soy un agente de paz. Stop the violence! A message from God. I'm valuable. I live freely. I choose to live in peace. Instead of fighting, it's better to smile. I'm an agent of peace.
These are the key phrases, topics, and words to the song we are using in our Alto a la violencia campaign at the Bible Home. We kicked off a week ago Friday with a special activity (including a hilarious video by Andrés, Fau, and the school staff) and sidewalk-chalking nearly every solid surface on the ground we could find with messages of peace. We all wore white t-shirts and everyone was given a blue or white bracelet to show that we are agents of peace-in-training. This week, we are watching the children closely to see if they can win their other blue or white bracelet (so they'll have one of each color). Last Monday we took this sweet picture with the Peace Bear, showing that with the effort of everyone, we can all live peacefully together.
This is a really important campaign, and we are doing all sorts of special activities in the houses, at school... everything we can to ingrain in the children's minds that violence is not ok. So many of the children who come to us have grown up experiencing and or witnessing violence on a far too regular basis. And that's not even thinking about the TV shows or movies they've seen. Thank God for the creativity and hard work of all the Bible Home and Enrique Strachan School staff who are helping with this campaign, and let's ask Jesus together for these children to live as agentes de paz.
Keep reading below for a testimony and a Migration update!
God's peace be with you!
Carrie

A Miracle!
There's a house mom I've asked you to pray for a lot. She is pregnant and has been through a lot this year. Her grandmother passed away, other close family members have had other health concerns, and her own pregnancy has been very high risk. Oh yeah, and she's been taking care of 11 children at the Bible Home when she hasn't been out on medical leave. This is the same mom I filled in for 5 nights back in February. She's been out on medical leave again, and it's been incredibly hard for her. She's been really stressed by a lot of things, including some kind of malformation in her baby's heart, something about blood crossing over...  But, Friday she had another ultrasound, and the doctor asked what they were supposed to be checking her for, because the baby was perfectly fine and the blood in his heart was all where it was supposed to be! Praise the Lord!!! He heard and answered our prayers! Please keep praying for this mom, for her baby's health, for the 10 children she is caring for again until she goes on maternity leave in 2 months, and for the woman who has been covering while she's been out on medical leave and will cover again when she goes on maternity leave. Please pray especially for their times of daily devotions to go well, as that has been a challenge for both women (the house mom and the lady who's been covering). Thanks!

Migration
There really is light at the end of the tunnel! I think. Today I spoke with my contact at Migration and she said she was going to resolve my case today! I got on my knees right away and begged for it to be so! The woman called me a couple hours later and made sure that I knew I was switching from being here as a religious resident to a volunteer. Uh....yah! I've had that clear since... October? And that is precisely why this stinking process has taken so stinking long and been so stinking complicated! So stinky, I'm pretty sure you can almost smell it from here. Especially those of you that live in the south. Anyway, she didn't call back again after that. :-( Bummer. I'll probably call her again in a day or two to see how things are going. I don't want to be obnoxious, but I do want to be persistent! Please keep praying with me for this to be resolved ASAP! It would be so wonderful to have my new card in hand when I board the plane to fly to my brother's wedding next month!

No comments: