Tuesday, September 10, 2013

BIG NEWS! and Tico Tuesday, September 10th

Hey Everybody!
Some of you probably got an e-mail earlier today with a big announcement and I'm here to tell you that it is true! The Latin America Mission (my missions organization) is becoming one with the United World Mission (UWM). This decision has been made with the future of both organizations in mind, and while a very small part of me kind of wishes the Latin America Mission could remain an independent organization, this is much like a marriage. Instead of losing a daughter, we're gaining a son. And this son will bring many benefits (like lower cost for health insurance and a lot of streamlined processes). One thing I really appreciate about the UWM is that it recognizes the amazing strategy the LAM has employed to partner with and work under national leaders and ministries. UWM believes in these partnerships and realizes it would be a huge step backwards missiologically to have LAM missionaries leave their current ministries and force us to do other stuff. So, to put it straightforwardly, the LAM's union with UWM will NOT directly affect my ministry: I will continue to serve happily at the Roblealto Bible Home in Christian Education for as long as God has me here. Future information about this union and how to change the financial giving process is forthcoming. The official merge date is December 31, 2013 (and that way, everybody's taxes will be easier!). Please contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.
And now... to your regularly scheduled Tico Tuesday.
This past Thursday was a very special day: we had the annual retreat for house helpers, cooks, and cleaning ladies. Lily (my fellow Christian Ed worker), Gladys (the family psychologist) and I planned and led the retreat. Everybody had a wonderful time! We started with me leading an ice breaker. Everybody had to write 3 things about themselves, and then I read them out loud and we had to guess who had written them. That created a lot of laughter! After a Biblical reflection on serving with love by Lily and Gladys, we had coffee break, and then handed out the letters the children had made for each woman present at the retreat. It had been one boy's idea, and all the ladies were so touched by the cards, letters, and little goodies they got! Then we had a time of sharing, and the women really opened up their hearts. Many tears were shed, and it was a beautiful, special time. I learned things I never would have suspected about these women. I admire them so much, and am so grateful to God for meeting with us and blessing our time together so richly! We ran out of time to do the craft we had prepared, but that was ok. God took control of the time and it was greatly edifying for all of us! I praise, thank, and bless him for giving us such a special retreat and bonding us together! (Sorry I don't have any better pictures, but my battery died and I haven't been able to get pictures from anyone else yet).
May God use you to bless and encourage others this week. You never know what people have gone or might be going through!
Carrie

No comments: