Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tico Tuesday, September 3rd

Sunday afternoon I witnessed one of the most incredible storms I think I've ever seen. The skies opened just as I got home from AWANA, and soon the downpour was accompanied by heavy winds, lightning, thunder, and even hail! The hail was just under the size of a marble. At first, I was really enjoying watching the impressive display of God's power. The rain and hail were so loud on the roof, how could I think of anything else? And to have frozen white stuff on the ground...here in Costa Rica?? I could hardly believe it.
 Soon, the carport was full of water, there were waterfalls across the street, the yard was a swamp, there were piles of hail where the ground was higher, and floating islands of hail swirling around in the massive puddles. And then, I realized that something I dread was happening: the water wasn't staying outside the way it was supposed to! It was seeping in the floor, dripping in by the door, and I had a miniature waterfall flowing off the window sill. And of course, I was expecting company. Pardon the pun, but that really put a damper on things! I was not happy to be cleaning up after a small flood on my day of rest, but the bright side of the story is that the floor in the front room and window sill are now very clean.
So, needless to say, it was an adventure. But, God is good. I had just finished hanging up all my wet rags when my company arrived and I had a wonderful time sharing with a family who has been very kind to me and known me ever since I was a student here in 2007. And in spite of the flooding in my apartment, I was literally able to praise God in the middle of the storm! He is awesome, powerful, and worthy of praise, no matter what kind of storms may come our way.
May we always remember to praise him, regardless of our circumstances!
Carrie

No comments: