Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tico Tuesday, August 11th

It is time for a cultural lesson from Mexico. Today we will focus on a core aspect of Mexican culture: street food.

But first, a word about nopales, prickly pear cactus. Mexicans LOVE nopales. They eat its fruit, called tuna here, and the teardrop shaped green slabs that compose the rest of the plant (once the prickles have been removed). They slice it, cook it and it turns into a sea of slimy green pieces thing that they devour with gusto (pictured).
And with what do you eat nopales? TACOS! I highly suspect tacos are the national food of Mexico. You can find a taquería pretty much anywhere, though they are especially common by metro stops. I can eat these because the meat itself is not spicy: people can add as much spicy salsa as they want, which in my case, is about 0.5cc.
Tamales are of course very common. Thay all have spicy salsa in them and are therefore quite juicy. So if you buy one from a street vendor, you can have it unwrapped and placed in a large bun for you. If you are like me and can't handle much spiciness, you are stuck with a sweet tamal, which is like eating a sweet pink sponge. Too bad it doesn't have creme filling!
Corn on the cob (the white, less-flavorful kind) is another popular item you can find on the street. People here love to put mayo (and chile, of course!) on it.
You can also find people selling potato chips, fruit, shredded carrots, and more, all with chile sauce to dump on to them.
I learned an important lesson from one of the Avance participants in the way she treated one of these street vendors: I often blow right by them, since I'm not interested in their product. But, when I was with her, she greeted a vendor and gave him a little money, even though she didn't buy anything from him. That really struck me. Even though I don't usually to buy from them, these vendors all bear God's image and need to know and experience his love. It is my job to be salt and light everywhere I go. I can give them a smile and treat them like a real human being. It's the least I can do.
Who are some people you can show a little more kindness and respect to? May God give us his eyes and his heart, that we may see and love others as he does!
Thanks for journeying alongside me,
Carrie

No comments: