Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Tico Tuesday, September 13th

On my day off on Thursday, I went to the beach! It was a much needed getaway with all that has been going on and thankfully there is a beautiful beach with calm waves just about 2 hours away-a perfectly doable day trip. And thankfully, a friend was able to come along with a friend of hers so we were a gringa, a tica, and a Salvadorian. It was really fun.
So why am I telling you about my day off? In addition to enjoying sharing happy things with you, I'm also telling you because I learned a lesson I'd like to pass along to you. Lately I have been going full speed ahead. Always trying to practice good self care and sleeping and exercising and eating well, but still pushing myself hard and sometimes feeling overwhelmed with everything. I was at the beach though, just sitting there, enjoying the waves. I looked out and saw the sand, a few shells and rocks and leaves, the receding tide, the crashing waves, the cloudy sky. But as I sat still and kept on looking, I began to see one, two,... five, six, hermit crabs making their way across the sand (interestingly all in the same direction!). Then a bigger crab, camouflaged by the sand half outside a hole, then another crab, walking around in plain daylight. The longer I sat still and observed, the more I saw, even though I was looking at the same things. There is often more than what first meets the eye, and I wonder how often I've missed things because I've been in a hurry? What beauty have I missed? What opportunities have floated right before my eyes without me seeing them? I don't beat myself up for what I might have missed. But I do sense an invitation which I believe I've shared with you before: S L O W   D O W N! Slowing down is hard. Really hard. I know I need to, but I will right after I... and then it never happens. I want to slow down and be more aware of God and his presence and his work throughout each day. I want to be connected to him, lift my eyes to him, not just keep my eyes down focused on whatever task I'm doing. It's a process. As I learned in my spiritual formation training through my mission, I'm on a long, slow, deep, difficult, particular journey. Thank you for praying for me and walking alongside me on this journey. Please keep it up! I hope what I share encourages you on yours!
Love,
Carrie

PS. I find it delightful and fascinating that though larger crabs walk sideways, hermit crabs walk forwards! God's creation is amazing!

No comments: