Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Tico Tuesday, February 7th

This past Saturday I had the privilege and joy of teaching part of the 201 Spiritual Maturity class at my church. A lot of people who came are relatively new to my church, and many of them do not have a regular time of devotions with the Lord. I pray that will begin to change after this class, which covers Bible reading, Bible study, and a few other related disciplines, along with prayer, basics on how to have devotions, tithing, and Christian fellowship.
I teach the section on prayer and how to have devotions and I love it! It is so much fun! I love being able to provide people with tools and ideas to help them grow in their relationship with God and really encourage them to start putting these disciplines into practice and allowing God to be their first priority in life. There is a saying in Spanish that translates "Tell me who you walk with and I will tell you who you are"--implying that the people with whom we spend time mold our character. From what I have learned in life, I have coined a somewhat similar phrase, "Tell me how you spend your time and I will tell you what your priorities are." We make time for what matters most to us. The way we live reflects what we value. Part of why I love teaching a section of this class is that it leads me to reflect on my own life. How is my time with Jesus? Am I living in a way that allows people to see Jesus in me? The material challenges and encourages me, and gives me an opportunity to challenge and encourage others. The goal of the class isn't just to convey information: the goal is to invite people to make a deeper, stronger commitment to the Lord. And most (if not all) of them do.
There is a huge need here in Latin America for discipleship, for helping people grow and mature in their relationship with God so they can be equipped to evangelize and disciple others well. I love being a part of what God is doing here! Through your prayers and holistic support, you are a part too! Thank you!
May others see Jesus ever more clearly in you!
Love,
Carrie

1 comment:

7 said...

Great Post Carrie! Keep us posted when the next teaching class will be perform