Sunday, October 19, 2008

Back in Grove City

I'm very happily unpacked back in Grove City, Pennsylvania-I never felt like I really unpacked all summer. It's been quite a transition. I have felt quite overwhelmed most of the week, but with time things are getting a little easier. I've been learning the need to just take life one step at a time. It's hard to put in to practice though, especially where there is so much to be done. I am
I have seen a LOT of people. I made it to IV on Tuesday night and went to the Homecoming Dance for a little bit on Friday night. (I've decided that white men can't dance. I knew I was spoiled in the Tetons. People there really knew how to throw a party. But Grove City dances (with the exception of the Gala) have always been terrible and very lame. The best part is always the chocolate fondue fountain.)
I also saw oodles of people yesterday at Homecoming. That was very overwhelming, but it was great to see so many people. It feels like it's been way more than 5 months since I graduated. And I realized that as nice as it is to have homecoming, it is NOT the one time a year people can/should catch up with their friends. If I am going to stay friends with someone, I hope we will stay in touch and try to see at each more frequently than just at Homecoming. It is just one day and there are tons of people there. It is nice to say hi to people, but it is not a day for quality time with people. It is a day full of small talk and brief catch-up time. And that is nice, but it clearly can not be the basis of a continuing relationship.
I am working on finding a job. It is a bit tough since I don't have a car and there aren't a ton of jobs in the area, but I am considering substitute teaching. Maybe that will be able to help keep me busy. I feel like I have a lot to do anyway though in order to keep raising support and staying in touch with everyone.
I am house-sitting right now with the fiancee of an engineering prof. She is hilarious and wonderful. And she loves to hug as much as I do-maybe more!!! Needless to say we get along really well. And it is great to be in this house again. I also stayed here a couple weeks in January when I took a 2 week intensive class at school and it is great to be in a familiar place, to sleep in a bed I've slept in before, to know where most things are in the kitchen, and to know how to work the DVD player. It's wonderful.
Tonight will also be an adventure as it will be my first time back at my church here. I am so excited! I feel like it will be a relief more than anything else. I didn't get to regularly attend one church all summer, so I am pumped to go back to my church here. I know it will be a little different than it was a few months ago-things always are. But with the liturgy, the clear, Biblical presentation of Truth, and the wonderful fellowship I know it will be great!

No comments: