Monday, December 15, 2008

Carrie's Cartwheel?

I don't really know who reads this blog. Feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me to let me know that you do. As far as I know I have 4 faithful readers-my parents (who count as one reader), one of my former youth leaders, my Cuban mom from the LAM, and another LAM missionary appointee. As you might know, I am a bit of a communication addict-especially in regards to e-mail.

Anyway, I am assuming that you, faithful reader get my Carrie Chronicles and my Carrie Cartwheels as well. Why on earth did I name my "serious" missionary prayer letter "Carrie's Cartwheel," you ask. Well, I'll give you the obvious reasons you're thinking of first. Cartwheel starts with C. So does Carrie. I, like Cookie Monster, have a serious affinity for the letter C (and cookies!!) Yaay! Alliteration!

Why else Cartwheel? Yes! Indeed, I was a gymnast for a few years. Doing cartwheels was one of my absolute favorite things to do on the floor in gymnastics. I was only starting to get the hang of a back handspring before we moved and my dream of being the next Shannon Miller with Bela Karolyi as my coach came to an abrupt end.

I will admit though, I had more than these things in mind when I chose that name. Cartwheels are neat because you do a complete circle with your body, yet at least one appendage is touching the earth at all times. (I know your body is always touching the ground in a somersault too, but cartwheels are harder and look way cooler). I like to think of my life as a long series of cartwheels. It is crazy: I go upside down, I am not always balanced perfectly on my feet, the motion seems to never stop. But, God is my Rock, and He is always under me, supporting me. And no matter what, part of me is always in contact with Him. Of course, this isn't a perfect metaphor. I just like that there is always a part of me being supported by God. And even though it may just be one hand and all my weight is resting on it, I can keep going in peace, knowing that the Ground under me can not be moved.

So, there you have it, dear reader. And if you have never gotten one of my Cartwheels, please let me know and I will do my best to remedy that as soon as possible. Megan-yours is coming. :-)

2 comments:

Magi said...

Awesome...not only are we fellow LAM appointees, but fellow gymnasts as well! I'll admit that I've been known to turn cartwheels down the hospital hall when it's very slow on the night shift...

Kiki said...

Awwww, I LOVE it when my orientation "babies" enjoy each other...the cockles of my heart are warmed:)