Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tour D'East of the Mississippi

Yesterday I embarked on a two and a half week, 11 state journey. I now have one night and 4 states down! West Virginia and Maryland barely count, but I drove through them, and in accordance with Smith family tradition, honked as I drove past each state welcome sign.

After I finish this journey I will have seen all 5 of my Mommy's siblings in the last year. That is pretty impressive, considering how spread out they are! (NY, NC, NM, SC, Southeast Asia-I didn't go to SE Asia, they are here in the US right now). I will also get to meet my newest nephew, Isaiah, who was born October 9th. YAAY!!

So, I'm not sure how often I'll get to post while I'm here. I'm really looking forward to seeing so much extended family and getting some quality time with my brother's family and my parents as well.

I am curious to see how all this driving will go. I really only have one really long day planned (11.5 hours if all goes well). And I have a backup plan if I can't make it all the way. All the rest of my travels are broken up. 6 hours is the next longest, and that will be the push home. And I do have lots of books on tape to listen to. I know Mommy doesn't like them, but I am curious to see if I like them and can follow them.

Yesterday's 6 hour trip was painless and smooth. That was largely due to the fact I had a passenger though, my dear friend Chrissy. I am am her house now, writing this as she tries to sleep off the nasty post finals cold that has her in its nasty grip. But, I am very content, Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music is playing. It doesn't take much to please me. It is a sound of home for me, and I am really enjoying it.

The concept of spending Christmas away from my parents has been really hard. I won't see them till Dec 30th. I will be with my cousins and grandparents, which will be really nice. It will just be different. I am still learning to adjust. I know I'm going to have a lot more things to adjust to in the near future, and it won't be easy. But, I'm just learning to take it all one day at a time and keep telling myself, God is my Rock. New and different is ok.

No comments: