Saturday, May 16, 2009

Going Grover

In honor of my friends who graduated today and of my own graduation a year ago (WOW!!!!), I would like to address the topic of Groveranalyzation. Actually it's something I've been thinking about again and would like to share with you, but I do want to congratulate my graduated buddies. Anyway, if you are a Grover, you probably already know what I mean (but PLEASE keep reading!!!). If you think Grover and picture your cute, furry, blue little friend from Sesame Street, please allow me to explain. Grovers are students who go/went to Grove City College. Generally speaking, they are well known for being neurotic, overchieving, perfectionistic, Type A people. Any grade less than an A is disappointing. They are very intelligent and think through everything. So, that's basically what I think of when I think “Grover.” I used to be a lot more Grover. Actually, the longer I was at Grove City, the less Grover I became. Ironic, huh? But, I'm pretty proud of that.

You see, it is possible to think too much about things. (I remember in show choir Ms. LaBrie often told us we were analyzing to much and that we needed to just keep singing!) I start thinking about something. But then I realize how silly it is for me to be thinking that. And then I think about me thinking about what I was originally thinking about. Are you still with me? It's just a crazy “downward spiral to destruction” (“Whole Lotta Joels Singing” from high school anyone?) That is what I call “going grover” or “ groveranalyzing.” And I think sometimes it can be a good thing. We start thinking something and then we realize (or God shows us) that we are way off base and need to start again.

But, lately I have been realizing the real danger that comes with Groveranalyzation. I start to think about things like “how am I doing in my relationship with God?” I think it's a fair question to ask myself. But, if I conclude that I'm not growing then I have to think why I'm not growing and what might be wrong and if there is any outstanding sin in my heart/life. That sounds ok, and sometimes it is-but do you see the danger? Sometimes we're plugging along with God and we don't feel like we're making any progress. We haven't had a “mountain top” experience in a while or we're not feeling particularly close to Him. We're going through a hard time. But-I think we often do grow in those times. We just don't realize it in the moment. I have often gone through a hard time spiritually and then looked back once it was over and only then was able to realize just how much I learned and grew. Anybody follow me? I don't feel like I'm explaining myself as well as I could, but, I need to go. So, I encourage you to be careful-especially if you're a Grover. And check out the post on Tranquila.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can relate to overthinking, Carrie-girl, and you know it... Thanks for sharing your lesson on how sometimes we don't feel like we've been growing, but we look back a few weeks/years later and can see that God did something good during that time. With His help, let's be sure we both remember that!!