Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tico Tuesday, May 26th

Today I would like to dedicate Tico Tuesday to my beloved parents who are celebrating 30 YEARS of Holy Matrimony! And, this is a chance for all of you who have never met these wonderful people to at least see their picture. What to say about Mommy & Daddy? In my (perhaps slightly biased) opinion they are the best parents in the world and Tico Tuesday is too short to describe all the things they have done for me and say how much I love them. They have been a marvelous example for me and I am so grateful to be their daughter!

Check out the blog to read some of my memories of my parents' previous anniversaries! Http://smithcj1.blogspot.com/

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Mommy and Daddy! I LOVE YOU! May you continue to fall more in love with each other and God each day.


Wondering how my church's missions conference went this weekend? Stay tuned for the May Carrie Chronicle coming later this week!


5 years ago and friend of my mom (Andrea) and I threw my parents a surprise anniversary party! Someone made a cake modeled after the one my parents had at their wedding, I brought along the wedding photo album, Andrea played a couple songs on her cello, and we had a really nice little party in the fellowship hall at our church in Maine.

I was really glad when Andrea called me and asked me to help her do something special for my parents' anniversary. Both my brothers were away, so I felt responsible for doing something but I was only a senior in high school and didn't really know what to do. So we sneakily planned for me to “babysit her kids”while she played a “mini cello concert” at church. The evening of the party I was SO hyper at dinner because I was excited for the party I can't believe I didn't blow it! I'm not sure if my parents were starting to get suspicious or not. As you might know, I am a TERRIBLE liar. But, I can keep a secret.

And I think it was that summer that my parents went on a big anniversary trip out west. My mom had been wanting to go back every since we toured the country when I was in 3rd grade. (check out the post of my Family and it's Adventures to read about it.) So for their anniversary they went to a whole bunch of national parks out west-INCLUDING Grand Teton National Park! For some reason we didn't go to the Tetons on that 3rd grade journey. How tragic! My parents' trip out there that summer was another factor in getting me to work there summer after my junior year of college. And how much has come from that summer!!Another summer there, friendships from all over the world that are lasting, significant improvement in my Spanish, hundreds of miles hiked, and an addiction to those majestic mountains! Anyway, I remember when my parents came home from that anniversary trip. They told me their mouths were sore from kissing so much. That is so sweet! I have been SO blessed to have parents who love each other and aren't afraid to show it. One thing I noticed a few (maybe several?) years ago is that every meal after we pray they kiss. I'm not sure how that tradition got started but I love it and plan to implement it when I get married too (whenever that will be!).

One of my first memories of my parents' anniversary was their 18th,, when I was 10 (or maybe it was their 17th? I think it was their 17th because we were still in our house in New Jersey and not the apartment. Wow, I'd almost forgotten about living there!). Our friends the Hicks made them a cake in the shape of a heart. It was really sweet of them. How many lifetimes ago was that? Clearly, a lot. But I don't think I have ever forgotten their anniversary since. May God bless their marriage with more than 30 years more!

2 comments:

Pops said...

30 years? Gosh those folks are getting old ;) I have to admit to the same admiration for them and for the same reasons. Never settle for anything less than what they have, but remember, real love is an act of the will. Still praying for you, Carrie. Thanks for the updates!
~The Latinos

Kiki said...

Your parents are the BOMB...or is it DA BOMB??!!