Sunday, August 23, 2009

Have I ever told you how much I love CivArts?

My parents heard that question about once a day the summer of 2006. I took CivArts at Grove City College with none other than the amazing Dr. Munson the spring semester of my sophomore year, so the following summer I continued to gush daily about how fantastic the class was. From Five Iron Frenzy on the first day of class to the Discus Thrower, to a Mass by Josquin, to the St. Chapelle in France's phenomenal Gothic architecture, to The Calling of St. Matthew by Caravaggio and a host of other wicked famous (and rightly so) pieces of art right up until Gauge and his wacky postmodern "music" I adored the class the whole semester. Dr. Munson explained things in a fascinating way and it was obvious that he was passionate about the subject. He turned Vivaldi's Spring Concerto into something easy to follow that told a story. I loved how he flashed the lights in the room off and on during the storm part and shared with us how he and his kids would hide behind the LazyBoy and peek out from behind it after the storm cleared. I loved how he stood on top of the table and crushed a piece of chalk during Beethoven's 5th. I love how we learned about the various time periods and how the art from that time was in line with its worldview. And I'm so glad that the things I learned can be applied to other pieces of art and music that I see and listen to.
Last night Samuel (one of my "brothers" here) and I were chilling out and listening to music. The first piece we listened to sounded kind of like another piece I know, but was obviously a different piece. As we listened I was trying to guess who the composer might be and in which time period it might have been written. I didn't do very well at that part. But turns out it was Chopin's Scherzo no1. No wonder it sounded kind of like the one I'm already familiar with (no2)!! I really enjoy studying music. I have been learning a little bit more here, living with musical geniuses like Josue and Samuel, but I know I still have a long ways to go.
So, thank God for CivArts and the ability to express through art! And if you are a Grover, make sure to take it immediately with Munson!

No comments: