Monday, August 17, 2009

Zancudos in the Night

Last night there was a battle between exhaustion and anger, darkness and light, women and mosquitos. It was 3am, and the horrible buzzing in my ear aroused my from the slumber that had finally overtaken me. (Ceci and I napped yesterday afternoon, so it took us a while to fall asleep). I tried burying myself under my sheet, but it was hot, and I already had at least 3 bites. The nasty zancudos kept buzzing, and from time to time I would flail an arm half tangled in a sheet trying to kill the nasty blood sucking critter. Over an hour later, I heard Ceci get up. I sat up and asked her if the zancudos were bothering her too and she said they'd bitten her all over and she couldn´t take it anymore. So, we decided to put up a fight and kill them.
She turned on the light. After recovering from momentary blindness we set out to destroy the odious creatures. I saw one on the wall next to my bed so I smushed it. I drew my hand away and there was a mosquito corpse and an inch long streak of blood on the cream colored wall, as well as on my hand. ¡Qué asco! It was so gross!! While I cleaned the blood off my hand and the wall Ceci killed another blood gushing zancudo on the floor. The battle was won, though I kept imagining that I was hearing that dreaded buzzing....
Slumber slowly overtook us once more, and rewarded us with sleep until 9 o'clock. My original plan for the day was to go for a bike ride in the morning with Josué, but between my traumatic night and some gymnastics antics yesterday that left my legs sore, that didn't happen.
I fear the war between us and the zancudos will never end, but thankfully nights like that aren't too common. They make for good stories though, don't you think?

2 comments:

Pops said...

Good story telling. It could have been improved only with the inclusion of swordplay. Thanks for the smiles, and may God bless you.

Dos Latini

Magi said...

I'm just excited that you were involved in gymnastics antics of any sort! :)