Saturday, September 5, 2009

Game Day!

As I left choir rehearsal just after 4 this afternoon, I saw the streets filled with people dressed like the people in the picture. There were vendors all over the place with jerseys and other kinds of gameday paraphernelia. Jerseys were hung up on makeshift clotheslines hung between signs and lightposts. Choir rehearsal is in Tibas, about a kilometer away from the National Stadium where the "Sele" (La Seleccion-the national soccer team) plays its home games. Tonight there is obviously a game. If I hadn't known before today, it was already obvious before I even left Heredia. The game is a World Cup Qualifying Match against Mexico. I've been told that if we lose, we're out. So, needless to say, the 6pm church service at CCI tonight will be ending at 7:30 on the dot to make sure people can get home in time for the 8 o'clock start. The game has priority.
Like I think I have mentioned before-soccer doesn't run in the blood of all latino's as you might easily be led to think. but just like not everyone in the US is a football or baseball fan, not everyone here is really into soccer. I'm not sure if the game will come on at my house or not. Sometimes we turn on games just so we can be socially adept the next day and able to say "Yeah, what a goal!" I guess we'll see.
Even though I have a lot of Mexican friends I hold very dear, I must say
VAMOS COSTA RICA!!!!

No comments: