Sunday, September 13, 2009

Moving Forward

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of forwards. Especially when they come from people who only send me forwards and never send me personal e-mails. (Yes, I realize this is coming from the girl that sends out at least 5 mass e-mails a month. but if you respond to me, I can almost guarantee you a personal response.) Some of them are cute, sweet or funny. But I would much rather hear a personal anecdote.
And, really, the whole "If you're really a Christian don't be ashamed to pass this on" thing is just ridiculous. I actually find it embarrassing. People should be free to forward e-mails without any sort of pressure or guilt hanging over their heads. And God's love or pleasure is surely not dependent on us (not) clicking that forward button. God doesn't ever want us to do anything out of guilt or obligation. He wants us to do things because He tells and leads us to do them and because we love Him and will bring Him glory through them. Anything else is works based and not true Christianity.
E-mail aside, I feel like I am having a similar experience here in real life. It makes me really sad to see, work with, and ask help from nonChristians and have them be so nice and helpful and then to go to Christians and ask them for help and have them respond with reluctance minimal cooperation. That's embarrassing too. Christians are supposed to be known for our love. Yes, I am admitting that some Christians are hypocrites. I confess, I'm sure I have done it myself and that's not something I'm proud of, but may God give me grace to not do it again. I'll tell you up front in case you couldn't tell-I have not yet arrived. I'm not perfect. But I know God is still hard at work in me and He will keep moving me forward! More details on my temporary residency stuff on Tuesday!

No comments: