Saturday, October 10, 2009

A BUSY Week

Boy am I glad it's Saturday! Well, actually I only have a little more than an hour of freedom until this day gets crazy too (I have choir rehearsal and then a concert tonight). All week I have been really busy. Thankfully I haven't had to go all over the place like I did when I was working on my temporary residency stuff. But, things are finally starting to gear up/come together for the missions trip my church here is taking to México de Upala (a teeny town by the border of Nicaragua). So, I have been chatting via Skype, making phone calls, e-mailing, calling back, texting, etc like mad since Wednesday. We leave the 22nd of this month and will come back the 25th. A group from South Carolina will be joining us. Please pray for the trip, and especially for the provision of finances. We need a lot of the youth to come because we are doing a big activity for over 200 kids, but the young people don't have the money, so we need sponsors, etc. I believe God is going to do some amazing stuff bringing everyone and everything together for this trip!!
What all has made this week so busy? Well, Tuesday nights I always have Huellas (Bible study/class) at church, this Wednesday I had a missions team meeting (which actualy went really well, thanks and praise be to God!!!), Thursday afternoon I had to take an extended lunch to take Abuelita to a doctor's appointment (that was a cultural experience), Thursday night was a prayer service at church that included a whole bunch of info about the trip to México de Upala, and last night there was something for the young adult group at church. But I didn't go!!! I stayed at home, did a little Perspectives homework, enjoyed Shabat (special Friday night family time) with Jorge, Esther and Samu, and sadly watched the Yuckees win and my dear Red Sox lose.
You're probably asking...what made Abuelita's doctor appointment such a cultural experience? Let me start by saying, DO NOT EVER VOTE FOR NATIONAL HEALTH CARE!!! BAD BAD BAD NO NO NO!!!!!! Dingy cement building that doesn't look very clean, computers, but still with piles of charts all over the place, very limited space and technology for the doctors and nurses and of course, bureaucracy up the wazoo. Yes, Abuelita received a diagnosis of hongos (fungus) on her tongue (EWW!) and was given a prescription. The place does function. And yes, Costa Rica is still a developing country. But, considering the technology available today, there could be significant improvement. And I am in agreement with our Founding Fathers that the government should have LIMITED power.

No comments: