Monday, October 19, 2009

Powerful Prayer

In the past week I have greatly been blessed by the prayers of others-and them letting me know about it! There is are at least a group of Grovers that I know prays for me regularly (and again reminded me this week that they do so). Another friend wrote a special prayer to pray for me in the style of the Book of Common Prayer. And the leader of my parent's Bible study has a rosary bead dedicated to me!

That just means so much to me to know that there are people praying for me-I know there are a lot more people praying for me than the ones I've mentioned here-but all these people happened to tell me in the same week that they are praying for me! That's such a beautiful encouragement. Thank you!!

Also this week I got to re-read one of my favorite quotes from Oswald Chambers (that one that I wrote hundreds of times on the backs of my prayer cards). The the “modern English” version it says “Prayer does not equip us for the greater work, it is the greater work!” And that is SO true! Prayer is such a powerful thing! I wish I spent more time in it... but, that's not something I'm going to beat myself up about. Rolando (the senior pastor of my church here) made a good point about “spiritual disciplines” last week. They shouldn't be disciplines-performed out of any kind of obligation. We do those kinds of things because we love God and want to grow deeper into him, not because it makes us more holy or better Christians. He didn't say all that. But, I think he would be in agreement with my elaboration.

So, I encourage you to keep praying and drawing closer to God. And I dare you to see if you can pray for 5 minutes and not make one request to God. (Praying doesn't just mean making petitions.) I dare me too!!!

No comments: