Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tico Tuesday, December 8th

Christmastime is here! Can I tell you how much I LOVE watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special? I am so thankful for cable!! What is Christmastime like here in Costa Rica? Well, it's definitely weird to have it be so hot, but I won't complain about that. People's yard decorations look kind of funny to me-like this portion of our next door neighbors' front walk

(yes those are pineapple plants). And Santa stuff just looks ridiculous. But it's helping me concrete-ize (concretar in Spanish) a bit more some of the things I've been thinking about in relation to Advent and Christmas over the last couple years. Head to the blog to read more! Http://smithcj1.blogspot.com/

God's joy and peace be with you!

Carrie


My family always had an Advent wreath growing up. For those of you who may not know, a lot of people and churches make a distinction between Advent (the celebration of the coming of Christ) and actual Christmas (Jesus' birth). There is a Christmas season, it just happens to begin on December 25th. Advent starts 4 Sundays before Christmas. So, an Advent wreath has 4 candles, one for each Sunday preceding the big day. And, of course each candle means something. If you ask me, they mean Prophecy, Bethlehem, Shepherds and Angels, but a lot of people will tell you Faith, Hope, Joy and Love or a something else. And that's ok. I think the important thing is that they mean something that serves to point us toward Christ and focus on Him as we anticipate His coming.

We all know Christmas is way too freaking commercialized and that all the reindeer, snowmen, stockings and trees don't really have anything to do with God becoming flesh. But, I still grew up with tree, a homemade stocking, a pretty little musical thing that plays “Silent Night” (whoever said it was a silent night? I don't think I'm gonna be silent when I give birth!!!!), a cute pink nutcracker, etc. Is there anything inherently wrong and evil in these things? No. And all those objects are of HUGE sentimental value to me. Will I make them a part of my household when I grow up and have a family? I don't know. I think my husband should be able to have some say in the matter. I know a family that makes a manger and puts it in the corner of the living room instead of a Christmas tree. I think that's cool. I like the idea of having decorations that focus us more on the Incarnation than... shininess or senselessness. Because really, if I'm going to say that I'm a follower of Christ and let Him be Lord of my life, I need to truly let Him rule my life. I believe that He is all that matters and that I need to focus on things of eternal value and not get caught up in things of the world. Does that mean I'm going to be a Santa-hater? No. I think we could all learn something from St. Nick (the original one). But, I want my life to be pleasing to God, not full of trains and tinsel. I want to be purposeful, intentional.

The family I'm living with here doesn't do much for Christmas-no decorations whatsoever. We have a Christmasy tablecloth, but I think that's about it. It's weird to me-I'm not used to it at all. It makes it feel like it's not Christmas/Advent-time. Hence, I've become more pensive. Sometimes I feel like I am on the brink of getting really homesick. I didn't spend Christmas with my parents last year, but I was with my closest cousins and I saw my parents and one of my brothers a few days later. I've never been outside the country and not with blood relatives for Christmas before. I've been a little hesitant to listen to Christmas music. It brings back so many memories. And a lot of it is full of meaningless warm fuzzies too, but there is still a lot we can even learn from Rudolph and his fellow misfits (even though it might not directly have anything to do with Jesus).

I feel like I'm not making a clear point. I'm not trying to prove my holiness because I'll be the first to tell you what a jerk I can be. I guess what I'm trying to say is-- I think it's important to focus on what is really most important: celebrating the coming of the Christ-Child and anticipating His coming again (and of course, remembering and praising Him for what He came here to do. Being born was just the first step). Everything else is just a chasing after the wind. And yes, I'll admit it. I'm reading Ecclesiastes. ;-)

2 comments:

Smitti said...

I just read, "WORTHY IS THE LAMB THAT WAS SLAIN...TO RECEIVE HONOR, AND GLORY, AND BLESS-ING..."!

Love you
daddy-Oh.

Anonymous said...

In this era of web 2.0, we easily get nice & updated information for research purposes... I'd definitely appreciate the work of the said blog owner... Thanks!
................................

good term paper-Essay Writing Help