Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tico Tuesday, June 15th

Go go go! Allez! Allez! Allez!

It's World Cup time! In order to be a functional member of society I feel almost obligated to watch the games. With the time difference some games start here at 5:30am! And people get up for them! I can understand that though-- I was getting up early to watch the

French Open (tennis) a couple weeks ago. It's really neat though, to hear all the different national anthems and names and see all the different uniforms. I didn't get to see the opening ceremony, but I saw some clips and it looked similar to an Olympic opening ceremony but not quite as overwhelming, elaborate or expensive. But it's clear: futbol really is THE world sport. I wonder which has penetrated the peoples of the world more... futbol or the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Hmmm... More thoughts on the World Cup on my blog!

May God use you as His instrument this week!

Carrie


So here's my complaint. The trumpet/airhorn thingies that all those people at the stadiums have drive me NUTS! It's like a cacophony of semi-symphonic bees, wasps, hornets, abejones de mayo and everything else that buzzes. I can't imagine being there in the stadium. I would have to wear earplugs. I'm sure it would be an amazing, wild experience. But that noise... oh man I would not be able to handle it! It almost gives me a headache just watching the game on TV! I know, this probably sounds funny coming from noisy loud Carrie that often yells without even realizing it. But really, this madness of horns is too much!

Interesting fact. The flag of England is NOT the one I thought it was. Do you know what the flag of England looks like? Are you sure? Look it up if you think it has the color blue. Watching futbol is educational!

Am I becoming a futbol fan? Eh... I doubt it. It futbol you can tie and I'm too competitive and be able to accept that as an reasonable way for a game to end. I'm able to appreciate the game more. And I'm starting to understand it a little better. And watching the games is good listening practice. Yes I hear Spanish all the time, but trying to understand the announcers means I really have to pay attention.

I think I was going to say something else... but now I can't remember. Well, if I think of it I'll post again. G'night!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Did you see the Hyundai commercial? I guess it played during the opening ceremony. The Catholic church is requesting that it cancel the commercial, because it essentially showed a wedding mass service, but replaced every element of Jesus and the sacraments with a soccer ball and pizza. Just food for thought in relation to your question of which has penetrated hearts of the world more, futbol or Jesus.

Michelle said...

Hm... if you ever need flag 101 you should date someone from that country. For instance, I dated an English person...and, I learned that the british flag is white and red. :)

Did you continue researching the english flag at all? I thought it was rather clever that the flag of Great Britain is a combination of all of the flags of it's countries. :)

God bless... :)