Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tico Tuesday, March 8th

Where do I have the most fun here in Costa Rica?

a) At home

b) In the car

c) At the Bible Home

d) At the mall


And the answer is..... C! (Of Course!) I do have a lot of fun at home, though I haven't had as muCh time here lately. I have fun in the car, especially if I'm not driving alone. The mall is ok. But there is nothing like a party with all the kids from the Bible Home and a group of volunteers!! Friday night there was a pizza/going away party for the group of volunteers that was there last week. We had great entertainment with the help of don Gerardo and Andrés, 2 incredible men that live at the Bible Home and invest their whole lives into ministering to the kids there. We played Minute to Win It and that was hilarious and really fun, but I think my favorite part was the performance by God's Dwarves (or so they called themselves). They did a dance to a popular Christian hip hop song. The foto helps explain it all. I got to be in my element as interpreter for the night. It was a blast! More stories and a secret detail about one of the dancers on the blog!

I hope you get to have some incredible fun this week!

Carrie



The dancer of the far left is a boy!! it took me a while to pick up on it, but once I got a good look at his shoes, I knew it. The poor guy got a bit embarrassed, I think I would have been too if I were him. But, he did a great job.

The Minute to Win it challenges were, 1) scooching across the floor on a mat without touching the ground with one's hands or the balloons with the mat. 2) Kicking off one's shoe onto a table about 15 ft away 3) picking up paper bags from the floor without using one's hands (very sanitary.... NOT!) 4) Blowing plastic cups off the table with air released from a balloon one has inflated. I would LOVE to try that one! Then the volunteers had to put one 10 t-shirts one on top of another. That's a good way to know what you'd look like if you packed on a few pounds!

Hilarious English observation. Sometimes I get “at” and “in” confused now, because there's only one preposition for both those words in Spanish. I remember Srta Forrester (one of my Spanish profs from college) telling us in fonetics (yes, I've also given up on using the ph) that we would never be able to divide syllables again correctly in English. Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it's true. I remember only very little about how to do that in English now. I only know that doubled consonants get split up. But I can't tell you if it's con-son-ant or con-so-nant. I think it's the 1st one, but in Spanish it would be the 2nd. AAAAHH!! Oh, and the other day someone pointed this out to me. Buses and cars are both vehicles, but why do you get ON the bus and IN the car??? Oh English, you don't make sense!

Anyway, I'm off to bed! I need sleep!


1 comment:

Gretchen said...

AUGH! You have lost it! In English it's con-so-nant, but I will still love you if you forget how to speak in English.