Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tico Tuesday, October 4th

Sunday was Missions Day for AWANA at the Bible Home! It was SO GREAT! Each club chose a country, researched it, made a display with information, and gave a presentation in front of everyone on it.Talk about a lot of work! It was totally worth it though! Everything went great on Sunday! The group I'm with, Chispas 1 (Sparkies 1), had México as our country. So, the leaders all dressed up and one of the guys made adorable little sombreros for the kids. It was so neat to talk about missions and tell these kids of the different people and cultures around the world that also need Jesus, and that one day, they can go to other parts of the world and tell others about Jesus! One girl pointed out though that we can be missionaries wherever we are, and that's true too! So after a lovely mix of worship and country presentations, we moved into the cafeteria and everyone was able to walk through each country's display and learn more. We spent HOURS putting the display up, but it looked fantastic. I encourage heading to facebook to see the pictures I put up and then to the blog to read of the adventure of putting the display together. It was so a-maz-ing!
May God use you as His instrument this week to bring others closer to Him!
Love,
Carrie

Friday afternoon the leaders of Chispas 1 met at the Bible Home to put our display together. Everybody else met on Saturday to do it, but some of our key people couldn't that day, and it was a good thing because we took up almost the whole cafeteria! We got cardboard donated and brought/had a lot of other materials.
A friend of a friend of mine grew up and México, so we were able to have a whole bunch of stuff that was truly authentic. That was really cool! And my fellow leaders are superstar creative artsy people. We made a great team. Everyone diligently worked away into the hours of the night. We slowly lost people, but there were still 6 of us at the end. I arrived late because I had to work all afternoon and got out a little late because I was in a meeting and then traffic was awful. but, there was still plenty to do even when I got there.
(More on my trip up to the Bible Home in another post-my perspective on poverty and the Bible Home got rocked this weekend.) So, of course, since I arrived late, everything was my fault. Any little thing, I got blamed for it. It was hilarious. It kind of reminded me in high school when each day was somebody's fault (random!). It made me feel really good though, because I knew that meant people had the confianza (they'd built enough trust/knew me enough) to tease me.
Kind of like getting thrown in the pool at camp in April. And it was actually some of the same people. It just felt so good to feel truly comfortable around other people. We were all totally comfortable and at ease with one another. We could tease and laugh, but we were also helping one another and bonding. It just felt like a totally positive, safe environment. I loved it! I felt totally free to be me and like people really loved me for who I am. That display of God's love is so awesome!! It was a great night. And of course, as the night drew on we got crazier.
It was getting close to midnight (or maybe it wasn't even that late) when all of a sudden we had all grabbed a decoration or prop of some kind and were all dancing around like totally wild, happy/crazy people. Tatti had the flag, Nawaf a piñata, Jeffrey one of the giant cardboard chiles, Laura a giant sombrero, me the axe with the blade of obsidian and Fausía had the poor, ridiculous palm tree on her head! It was SO FUNNY!! (Ok, maybe you had to be there.) Check out the song. Make sure you listen in far enough to be able to recognize the rollicking gospel tune! Jaja, just hearing it again I'm bursting out laughing. I
agree with Fau, I'll never be able to hear this song in the same way (or with a straight face) again! We did a little encore on Sunday morning once the activity was over, but it wasn't quite the same (and by then our poor palm tree was in really rough shape!). I love my fellow AWANA leaders! we had so much fun! I'm so excited to continue to spend time with them!

No comments: