Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tico Tuesday, October 25th

I went to my beloved Isla Venado this past weekend. It was a quick trip, since I didn't have a long weekend, but it was totally worth the approximately 14 hours of round trip travel time. As I think I'd mentioned last week, the sun has been pretty impossible to see around here lately. The island was no exception when I got there. But, due to all the rain, the chorro, (a waterfall/watering hole) was flowing and full! I'd heard about this place on a previous trip, but didn't have time to go. Then when I asked about it on another trip it was during dry season, so everybody looked at me like I had two heads. But this time, I arrived on the island and before I even got to Pastor Eladio and doña Epi's house the kids were telling me we should go. Twist my arm! Unfortunately, the picture does not capture neither how wet I am (I was pretty drenched. I wrung out my shirt when I got home. I was wet from both the chorro and and steady rain) nor how beautiful the blue stones on the walkway are. They are all smooth and a lovely blue-green. Gorgeous! The trip to the chorro was especially wonderful because we got to go exploring further up the stream. Stream-adventuring is something I really love in life. It was on my bucket list until I came to Costa Rica. Head to the blog for the story of "My Umbrella Adventure."
Much love,
Carrie

So, it's been raining a lot. All over the central valley and western side of Costa Rica. I don't use an umbrella too often because now I travel by car more often than not and tend to just run between buildings and wherever my bar is parked. However, I know it is still important to have one and try to keep one in my purse just in case, because you never know.... Well, the one I kept in my purse was really cheap and falling apart. The other one wasn't in the best shape either. I decided to bring that one with me to the Island. However, I didn't take it with me when I got off the bus in San José Saturday morning. So, I figured I'd buy one in Puntarenas before getting on the ferry. Well, the place I always go to buy things didn't have umbrellas and I have to go to 2 others stores and then ask at a bakery before I found one. And of course, it was raining in Puntarenas and I was getting wet. I doubt my new umbrella's quality, but really didn't have time to fuss. I usually walk to the ferry. I should have gotten a taxi, but I didn't. So I ended up running that last couple hundred meters.
Thankfully I did make it. But of course it started to rain harder those meters I was running, and I didn't want to stop and open my umbrella, which would have only been a hindrance anyway. So I bought an umbrella and didn't use it. Saturday afternoon when we went to the chorro we were planning on getting wet so we didn't bother bringing umbrellas. And then Sunday, LO AND BEHOLD, THE SUN came out!!!! It was amazing, and beautiful and glorious and just so good!! I should have put more sunscreen on... or used my umbrella as a parasol. So I came home with a bit of red skin.
But, when I got to San José, it was raining again! And I had to wait for the bus for almost 20 minutes. That goes to say: I'm so glad I bought my umbrella!

No comments: