Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tico Tuesday, November 22

Wow, it's hard to believe only 1 week has gone by since I last wrote. There was a lot to choose from, but I decided to share with you today about "Saturday's Suicidal Squirrel."
Saturday was the LAM picnic, one of the few opportunities we have each year to gather as a family of LAM missionaries. People were still arriving when all of a sudden there was a big "Boom! Boom!" It sounded like 2 fireworks had just been set off. I wondered why anyone would be stupid enough to do it in the daylight. I thought I saw a spark though and maybe something fall out of the corner of my eye. One missionary's soon soon pointed out the dead squirrel on the ground and we figured that the little guy got zapped. Unfortunately, he made the power go out too. So, the hanging out and lunch parts of the picnic were unaffected, however, we had to get innovative in order to be able to carry out the time of worship, sharing and honoring missionaries whose complete number of years of service is a multiple of 5. Not only was there no power, but it was pouring rain, so that made it nigh impossible to hear each other. So, what did we do? Hook up the keyboard to a car, write the words to the songs out on big pieces of paper, and when we all introduced ourselves, we passed around the megaphone. It was hilarious!! It was fun though. And thankfully, the rain died down in time for the presentations and we were able to spend some nice time sharing with and praying for each other and other LAMers who weren't with us. More on the blog on why I want to be the next Margaret Weir.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
Love,
Carrie

Who is Margaret Weir? An amazing woman of God who is celebrating 40 years of service with Roblealto and the Latin America Mission. Margarita, as she is known around here, came to Roblealto when we were first opening our child care centers.
She was the Coordinator of Christian Education for a number of years and is now the Roblealto chaplain. That means she gets to meet with people and pray for them and encourage them: staff, various members of families we serve, a ton of Roblealto "alumni" (people who were in one of our programs when they were younger) and lots of other people. As Suzanne, Roblealto's current Nursing Coordinator shared about Margarita on Saturday, Margarita is always sending people notes of encouragement. They occasionally come with chocolate. :-) She often sends out prayer requests too. Talk about a woman of prayer. Suzanne also talked about going out for lunch with Margarita and how she would pray as she ordered her subway style sandwich. But what an amazing example! I want to be like Margarita because she shows others what Jesus is like. She knows and remembers so many people, she is gentle, a good listener, so kind to others and she is just great! She made me feel special on Saturday when she told me that she mentioned me in her monthly update-about the time I led the inductive study on John 15 in the devotional at work. I'd honestly almost forgotten about that, but she spoke of it very highly. I feel no obligation to return the favor and brag on her, I'm all to happy to do so! I don't know if I'll be around Roblealto for 40 years, but whether I do or not, she will always be a good role model for me to follow.

No comments: