Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tico Tuesday, August 21st

This chicken hangs out at my window almost every morning. Not something I've ever been used to before.
And over the past couple weeks, I've seen, heard and experienced a number of things I never could have imagined and that no one should ever get used to. Reading an article, hearing a second- or third-hand story, or watching some slideshow about missions can't grasp this. I'm talking about the brokenness and poverty hiding behind the eco-facade of Costa Rica. I'm talking about adults that can't even write their own children's names. I'm talking about children who have been horrifically mistreated and abused and are starting to do the same. I'm talking about people who live in a makeshift lean-to with no door and one  twin bed for more than one person. I'm talking about things I've seen, related to children I know, not some identity-less face you look at and go "Aww!"
The longer I stay in Costa Rica, and the more deeply involved I get with the children and families we serve at the Bible Home, the more I learn of things that have been foreign to me my whole life. The more I see how starved of love people can be, the more I can see that Jesus truly is the only Hope for this world.
 So that leaves me asking, how can I be Jesus to these children and families? I am well aware of my own brokenness and limitations, but I want so badly to help these people. Please join me in praying for Jesus to transform these children and families, and pray for His love to flow freely through me.
Thanks. May God continue to open our eyes and show us those who so desperately need his love - and may we do something about it!
Carrie

No comments: