Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tico Tuesday, August 27th

The last two Sundays I have been blessed with the opportunity to deepen my relationship with two different ticas. Last Sunday, it was my friend Ivannia that was a house mom in the Jardín house, and this past Sunday, it was a girl I met at church named Jessie.
Jessie & I sang in the church choir last year
Jessie and I have been saying for months that someday we need to get together and hang out. Usually, when ticos say that they are just saying it would be nice, but they actually have no intentions of ever making it happen. But, Jessie and I really did get together: we went out for lunch and talked until 4:30 and then went and got ice cream before parting ways. I had a wonderful time. And since it was just us, we felt comfortable sharing with each other. (Deeper conversations tend to not happen in group settings in this culture, especially among young people.) So, I'm feeling really grateful and blessed. I yearned for single female friends for so long here, and now I'm FINALLY getting some! Jessica is still my closest friend here right now, but I'm enjoying getting to know her roommate Tammy too, who often joins us when we run together. Now that Ivannia isn't in charge of a house full of kids, she's more available to hang out, and though Jessie is wicked busy, she really needs to get out sometimes. And Iva and Jessie are ticas! I'd wondered if I'd ever make friends with any ticas who are actually closer to my age than my mom's. I don't know how close I'll get with either of these ladies, but I thank God for what He has given me with all my heart. Thank you so much for praying for this to happen! Please continue to pray for God to provide me with good friendships, for me to be a good friend, for people to always be able to see Jesus in me --and for me to remember that it's about Him and not me!
As you can see, I'm staying plenty busy as always. I especially appreciate your prayers as I try to get my Church History II paper written and submitted by September 7th.
Thank you for all your prayers, love and support!
Carrie

No comments: