Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tico Tuesday, February 24th

Machetes are known in Latin America for being the all-purpose tool.
Better than a Leatherman, they have countless uses: cutting grass, breaking coconuts open, bushwhacking, snake killing, meat cutting, etc. On Sunday, I saw a brand new use for a machete: a man was using the dull edge of it as he weaved to make sure the strands came together as tightly as possible! Yes, there in the middle of the mall, a guy was weaving and using his machete! The green strip you see on the ground is from a plant called "cabuya" and he peels it apart, separates the fibrous strands out, spins them, dyes them, weaves them, and then makes all sorts of beautiful bags, baskets, etc. It was fascinating! The guy said his work is one of the oldest in the country! And right there at a tourism expo in the mall, I got to see him work and have quite a cultural experience!
I tend not to frequent malls here. I don't ever have much reason to, but it was a central location to meet a couple from Maine that recently came down to serve here. They are about my parents' age, but as we talked and starting sharing more about our lives and ministries, they started asking me: what should we do? They are living in a village that is in a very complicated situation, full of secrets and tension. I have 6 years of ministry experience under my belt, but that still isn't a whole lot, and it's been in a very different context from their situation. Yet, they need help! I offered a couple perspectives to keep in mind and then encouraged them to keep praying hard! It was delightful to meet them and hear a good ol' Maine accent. But, my heart definitely hurts with them as they seek to share God's love in a place that is darker than they realized. Please join me in praying for them and for God to make a "divine machete sweep" and clear out the spiritual cabuya in the way and turn it into something beautiful.
Thank you so much for your faithful prayers and support!
Carrie

No comments: