Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tico Tuesday, March 24th

This past week, in preparation for the Spiritual Formation training I'll be receiving through my missions organization next month, I read Henri Nouwen's The Return of the Prodigal Son. WOW! Talk about an amazing book!
 I LOVED it!! The book is based on Nouwen's reflections on Rembrandt's painting by the same name. The painting caught Nouwen's eye, and he was eventually able to spend hours in front of the original, observing every detail, and relishing what I consider a marvelous depiction of the gospel: One way Fatherlove, acceptance and forgiveness from the Father, from whom light proceeds. I highly recommend this short but powerful book. Nouwen explores the different characters and details in the painting and learns from each. He also shares how over time, he learned to identify himself not only with the younger son, but also with the elder son as well as the father. He points out a couple of things in the rich parable I hadn't picked up on before: Well, I knew that the older son also rebels against his Father, but Nouwen says straight out that he left home too. Maybe not physically, but he did in his heart. I know I've been way too much like that son for way too much of my life. And the second thing I hadn't noticed was that the Father goes out to meet both sons. God comes to us and meets us where we are. He wants us to turn to him and delight in our sonship (daughtership is too weird a word for me). I think this book especially spoke to me because 1) Civilization and the Arts was my absolute favorite class in college and this was like a rich return to it. And I love finding the gospel in art. 2) God has been speaking to me a lot lately about his gentle Fatherlove. I don't have to slave for him like the older son (though I certainly desire to serve him!). Everything the Father has is mine (See Luke 15 for the parable). I am completely safe and accepted in my Father's loving arms, and he delights in me and desires for me to be with him always. He is my true home. Thanks be to God!
May we all find peace and rest in the Heavenly Father's loving arms,
Carrie

No comments: