Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Tico Tuesday, April 8th

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
(I thought I'd give you a day off and not send you updates two days in a row)
This Resurrection Sunday was the best I've ever had here in Costa Rica! Largely because--it actually felt more like a Resurrection Day! Generally, evangelical/Protestant churches here pretty much ignore the celebration of the Resurrection. It's largely a cultural thing and the whole country shuts down from Holy Thursday to Resurrection Sunday, so most of the people are at the beach soaking up the last few rays of summer sun before rainy season moves in. But, at Vida Abundante Heredia, there was actually recognition of this most significant holy-day and that made me so happy! We started with a time of worship and prayer at 6am and then had a Resurrection breakfast before moving on to the regularly scheduled morning services--with a sermon on the resurrection! I am pretty sure that's the first of its kind I've heard in this country--and this was my 9th Easter here! Yikes! I hadn't realized it had been 9 until just now! That is incredible!  (2007 when I studied abroad here was my first, in 2008 I came back to visit, and in 2009 I moved to the mission field shortly before Easter.)
This Resurrectiontide has had me thinking a lot about God's power. There is nothing difficult for him. As the Creator and Lord of all, he has power over all, he "is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us," (Ephesians 3:20). His power is in his children! Wow!
Thanks be to God for his power, goodness, sovereignty, and love!
May we continually rejoice in our Powerful Resurrected Savior and King and give him the glory and honor he deserves!
Carrie

No comments: