Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tico Tuesday, June 16th

Artfulness
When I was little, I wanted to be an artist. My parents got me a few art lessons and actually still have the framed painting of my take on Van Gogh's Sunflowers on the wall. My painting/drawing skills haven't improved much since then, sometimes I think they have even deteriorated, but 8th grade art and the Arts in Civilaztion course I took in college have given me an enormous appreciation for art. In college, our InterVarsity staff worker gave those of us on the leadership team notebooks one year, and allowed us to select if we wanted one with lines or without. I, of course, chose a lined one since I am a lines and structure kind of girl. But, our staff worker also encouraged us to draw in our notebooks: we started with Ephesians 1 (that's a rich one!). I am now surprised at how many sketches of spiritual reflections I have in there...not many, but enough that I wish I'd chosen a notebook with no lines in it! Like I mentioned in my Chronicle, the trip with my mom really did leave me wanting to express myself in a more artistic fashion, and I guess my point today is that doing artistic things like writing a poem or making a drawing are good and can be very worshipful. I know some of you already know this far better than me. I have a friend who often includes poems she wrote in her missionary updates. I'm not sure I'll be so bold to do that, but I want to encourage you today: what is that thing that you keep in the back of your mind that you like to do but don't do hardly ever? How can you worship God through your hobbies and other things you like to do? Or maybe you need to cultivate a new hobby. Will you take 10 minutes today to consider this and worship God in a creative way?
I leave for Mexico a week from tomorrow! Please keep praying for me as I prepare to enter a different (but related) culture, different Spanish vocabulary, and meet with potential future coworkers! Thank you!
Love,
Carrie

No comments: