Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Tico Tuesday, September 15th

It's beginning to look a lot like...
WAIT! Not yet! While some people will soon be pulling out their Christmas decorations (at least in Costa Rica), this red, white, and green is not for Christmas. These are Mexican colors. I have had to remind myself of this many times over the past couple weeks.
While Costa Rica and Mexico have consecutive days of celebration, Mexico's Independence came in 1810, while Costa Rica and the rest of Central America did not become independent until 1821. Costa Rica starts celebrating its independence on September 14 with the running of the torch of liberty from the border of Nicaragua to Cartago (Costa Rica's first capital city), parading around with homemade lanterns, and eating typical foods like white corn on the cob and hot agua dulce (kind of like diluted molasses). Then there are parades the next morning in the center of each town. Mexicans start celebrating the night of the 15th by eating pozole (chicken hominy soup) and then going to the center of town to shout "¡VIVA MEXICO!" at 11pm. Tonight will definitely be an interesting new cultural experience! Honestly, I don't know what, if anything happens tomorrow. It's common for latinos to celebrate holidays the night before the actual day. They always celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve too. Just some interesting facts for you. Oh and I just heard more fireworks...That has been happening all day and I expect will intensify over the next several hours. What a day it will be! Instead of feeling like I have a divided heart and wishing I could be in Costa Rica, I'm praying for a big, open heart to enjoy it all.
Before I close, I'd like to mention 3 petitions:
-One week from tomorrow Ann and I will be giving the mission coach training we have been developing over the last few months. Things are coming together and we are going over final touches and trying to make sure we have everything ready for the big day. Please continue to pray for our final preparations!
-I have a Skype meeting on Thursday with a couple UWM leaders to see how things are progressing with a couple future service possibilities for me. Please continue to pray for God's guidance in this matter.
-I am praying for someone in Chicago to lend me a car for 10 days in late Oct/early Nov. Please pray with me, and spread the word with all your friends who live Chicago! (I'm willing to pay up to $300 for the 1400-1500 miles I'll be putting on the car).
Thank you so much for accompanying and supporting me along this journey! I am a grateful, blessed woman!
Carrie

No comments: