Monday, September 28, 2015

Top 10, er 13, reasons why housesitting for K&L was awesome

I recently housesat for a family I know here. Their house was quite a contrast to the place I've been living here in Mexico. While some of the things that are true for K&L's place are true for other places and people, I especially appreciated them this time around!
1. A big soft bed with a headboard! Soooooo nice!
2. Being able to walk freely through the house without dogs barking, lunging, or occasionally snapping at me. I will say it. I do not like dogs. I appreciate my brother's greyhound and think he is brilliant, but I would not want live with him. I will never live with another dog again (and don't even think about cats)! The end. Please make sure my future husband knows this. (I can stay with a dog or cat overnight, it's not like I can't deal with them at all. I just refuse to live with them.)
3. Privacy. I've been living with 4 other people and sharing a bathroom with two. It was really nice to enjoy those freedoms that come with living alone (or with someone you really know and trust) for a week!
4. Being able to use internet throughout the house. Where I've been living, I have to come down to the middle floor in order to use the internet on my computer. It works very slowly on my phone in my room. And where I can use my computer I have to sit sideways in a chair --it's quite uncomfortable. At K&L's, that was a nonissue and it was so nice! I had a huge dining room table all to myself!
5. Being able to listen to music whenever I wanted! This is closely related to being able to use the internet throughout the house. I've realized how encouraging for me it is to be able to listen to music, so it was a real gift to be able to do so at K&L's!
6. The water in the shower stayed hot for more than 5 minutes.
7. Laundry onsite!
8. Room for my things to fit easily in the fridge, and no need to worry about someone else eating food I was counting on eating.
9. The gliding rocker (with a gliding ottoman too!)
10. K&L's oldest daughter's adorable fleece ladybug blanket
11. Getting to see mountains from the roof.
12. The electric piano! Almost every night I took a few minutes to work my way through a couple songs and hymns (one finger at a time). I'm not good at playing the piano, but I have a reasonably decent ear for music and love to sing, so it was wonderful to be able to take advantage of the piano. As mentioned above, music does great things for my soul!
13. The turtle. If ever I do get a pet, it just might be a turtle. The last few times I've seen turtles, I've been fascinated by them. They help me not only #practiceawe, but with their reputation for slowness, I am learning a spiritual lesson from them. Slow down. Pay attention. Engage fully and don't just rush through life. Discover how Christ is present in this moment. I loved watching him move about in his nifty homemade tank (made out of one of those big 5 gallonish sized water jugs); admiring his webbed, clawlike extremities (what do you call those things anyway?); seeing how he extended and drew in his neck; observing how he blinked. I feel like a little kid and want to learn about turtles now!
So, housesitting was a real blessing to me in so many ways (I didn't mention the super-rich chocolate cake that got left in the fridge, did I?). I feel spoiled and refreshed now, and have only 17 days until I say goodbye to the four poorly trained dogs who have been trying my patience here!
Housesitting helped me be grateful for a lot of things I often take for granted and think I deserve. I've been learning the importance of being grateful in all circumstances because it is a way of being more aware of Christ, the Bible commands it, and I know that just having solid walls and a roof over my head in a safe neighborhood and with food stored in the fridge is a lot more than many people have. I encourage you to join me in practicing gratitude and looking for Christ in all things!

No comments: