Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Tico Tuesday, September 8th

This is the Avance library, minus the one shelf out of view.
I have now spent two days here making sure books are labeled, in proper alphabetical order and according to the Avance decimal system, purging old books that don't look as good to make room for new books I wish I had time to read, sorting through donated books to figure out which are worth saving and which we can pass along, sighing at the number of good books that I want to read, and laughing uproariously at "How to Find a Husband: For Girls." Published in 1953, this book is kept around the Avance office for entertainment purposes. The author describes how unfeminine and unflattering wearing "levis" is and how men are turned off by heavy makeup. I'll skip a more gory one about fingernail polish colors... Yes, 60+ years ago, it was the way of life (and I know some men are still turned off by heavy makeup), but the way the book is written makes me laugh so hard, they can surely hear me down the street.
Anyway, this is an impressive little library, and I could literally spend days enclosed in it reading! It was fun going through the titles and recognizing the names of some authors I came across in seminary. I'm definitely feeling inspired to become a better-read woman.
Speaking of reading, I've started reading the first book for our second round of spiritual mentoring training (which officially started Sep 1st) and wow, it's a good one! The Shattered Lantern by Ronald Rolheiser. I highly recommend it. Less than 200 pages, but an eye-opening, thought-provoking text. Let me know if you read it; I'd love to hear your thoughts!
And, 2 weeks from tomorrow, Ann and I give the first mission coach training! Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we try to finish and review everything and make sure it is interactive and easy for the participants to learn and for the Mission Coach Coordinator who will come after us to find the material we've created easy to follow and use as well!
Thank you so much!
Carrie

No comments: