Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Tico Tuesday, February 16th

I hate to admit it, but the honeymoon is over. It's to be expected, yet always catches me by surprise. Things will not always be smooth and easy. That's life.
Sunset during last month's training
 I was supposed to have a Small Group team meeting on Saturday, and 3 out of 5 people couldn't come. I'm realizing my team isn't as solid as I thought. One of the hardest things for me about tico culture is that people often don't take commitments seriously. As my InterVarsity cross-cultural training taught me, Latins (and many other cultures) value people over tasks. I hate for a Small Group team meeting to be considered a task, but I think it will take some serious effort to try to change that. Many ticos themselves admit that fulfilling responsibilities/commitments is a general cultural flaw though (being people oriented, however, is not a flaw, just a difference). Getting people together frequently requires double and sometimes triple confirmation.
At first, I was quite frustrated on Saturday, especially since one person announced via the text group they are withdrawing from the team 7 minutes before the meeting was supposed to start. But, the children's pastor was about to have a meeting too, so I went to him and he gave me some good advice. Building a team takes time (and it turns out this Small Group team was really only just being formed as I arrived) and will be a continual process. I have to convince people Small Groups is the church's greatest ministry. I may recruit people, and after an initial meeting, maybe only 2 or 3 out of 15 or 20 will commit. But, he said that some people really will commit and throw themselves in heart and soul. That was encouraging. So, will you pray for me as I learn about leadership, deal with cultural differences, and set out to build a strong team? I'm setting aside tomorrow to pray and plan for the team. What should we do? How should we work? What are things I can delegate? How can I keep from being too controlling? Please join with me in prayer as I present this before the Lord and seek his guidance. It's all about and for Him.
May God continue to grow, guide, and bless you,
Carrie

No comments: