Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Tico Tuesday, August 22nd

Greetings to you all once again!
This Sunday I finally was able to go to visit our church plant at our drug rehab center! It's often hard for me to get away on the weekends, but at last it worked out for me to go. While the centro is almost directly north of us, there are also mountains directly north of us, so we have to drive around them to get there. Most of the drive is through a verdant national park, so, if it's not too foggy, cloudy, or rainy, it's gorgeous. The road is narrow and curvy though.
The rehab center is a small, simple place. It has individual cabins for each of the 16 men going through the intensive 3 month program. On Sundays their families brings them the food they need for the week and they are responsible for making their own food, handwashing their laundry, and they also help with maintenance and gardening projects around the grounds, along with receiving the rest of their treatment.
I think what impacted me most was the time of worship through singing. (My pictures of that were blurry or back-lit. Bummer!) Watching the men in the program sing to God was powerful. How often do I sing and completely forget about the words coming from my lips? These guys sang to God with all their hearts. The phrase that came to mind was, "he who has been forgiven much, loves much." It is so true. These are guys from really rough backgrounds, who have been on the streets, who have lost so much, who have been forgiven much. And they learn to love God and know that He is the answer, he alone satisfies, frees, restores, transforms, and saves. It was very encouraging to be there. And I really enjoyed the time with my friends Mónica and Daniel who took me.
In other news, my current migratory process got sent back to square one on Friday. That was obnoxious, but at least I was able to write emails and read while I waited in line for 4 hours, so it wasn't time wasted. Migration here is an amazing picture of inefficiency, ridiculous complications, and treating humans like cattle. Not very pleasant, but until some serious reform and technological advances are implemented, I'm learning to just roll with the punches. Please keep my migratory processes in your prayers.
May God continue to grow our love for him and our awareness of him each day,
Carrie

No comments: