Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Great Day

So, I was off on Monday-I have Sundays and Mondays off, which is pretty wonderful. Monday was the last day my friend and roomie April was going to be here. She left on Tuesday and it was very sad. But anyway-my wonderful day. My friend Luciano was off too, so we set off to adventure all through the day.

We started with a 7am float trip on the Snake River. Think white water rafting but slow and not dangerous and you don't have to do anything. You sit on a raft, listen to a guide spout facts and interesting stories, and enjoy the gorgeous view of the incredible Teton Mountain Range. It is an activity that is offered to the guests, but employees can go for free if there is space. SCORE!!! I love living in a national park and getting perks like that! Oh and we saw 5 bald eagles, a bison with two calves, a moose and her calf, white pelicans and (I'm going to butcher the spelling of this) meganser ducks.

After the float trip we had lunch and then went hiking to Bearpaw and Trapper lakes. It is about an 8 mile hike roundtrip that is flat and easy. It follows String Lake and Leigh Lake and has gorgeous views of the mountains! It was a wonderful time. We went faster than I thought we would (which often happens. Apparently I am a pretty speedy hiker. I don't go so fastI can't take it all in though), so we had time to have supper at Dornan's. Dornan's is a great pizza place right outside the park. All the pizza's are named after mountain peaks and all the ones I've had are spectacular!

We then met up with April and a few other friends and hiked to Phelps Lake (there are a lot of lakes around here) where they all went cliff jumping. There is a HUGE rock at the edge of the water and it is really deep there. So, it is very common for people to jump off the giant rock into the depths of the lake. Can you tell it's not my cup of tea? I am a total wuss!!! I'm not afraid of heights, but when it comes to jumping from high places I just can't do it.
So, after everyone but Luciano (who unfortunately has a cast on because he dislocated his wrist) and I (the wuss) jumped off the rock a couple times, we left. We got back to the car just as it was getting dark. And don't worry folks, we had lots of noise, headlamps/flashlights, and bear spray.

And wait-the day was not yet over! Yes, we headed from the far southern end of the park all the way up to the nothern end! (As in not very far from Yellowstone.) We went to Huckleberry Hotsprings-a place I had been wanting to go to ever since I first heard of it when I was here last summer. I had always wanted to go to real, natural hotsprings. Yeah, like, the hot water is there and you get in and relax. It was incredible. (Now if only they had jets...just kidding). April, Dan, Luciano and I were the only ones there, which was nice. I guess they can get pretty crowded sometimes. So, finally, after relaxing and enjoying the stars and moon, we headed back.
And that was my wonderful day. Jampacked full, but lots of fun. I will try to not make all blog entries this long, but I wanted to describe everything well to you. Hopefully pictures will come soon.
The End

1 comment:

Ed said...

You didn't butcher the spelling too badly. According to All About Ducks: It's A large diving duck with a long thin bill, the Common Merganser is found along large lakes and rivers across the northern hemisphere. The long bill has toothy projections along its edges that help the duck hold onto its slippery fish prey.