Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Be a Missionary Every Day! (clap clap clap clap)...

I am finding that the word "missionary" comes with a lot of baggage. Literally and figuratively. ;-) It seems like being pregnant, all of a sudden one becomes public property and people will give all sorts of "advice" whether or not they have actually been pregnant themselves. I do appreciate the advice though, for sure. I know I have a lot of learn about missions and I am grateful for all the counsel given to me. However, becoming an "official missionary" has given me a lot to think about, even without talking to others.
Seth, one of my amazing junior high youth leaders once told me that he tried to live like a missionary all the time. I have never forgotten that, and I think he hit the nail on the head. Missionary should be a lifestyle, NOT a job title. We are clearly not all gifted as evangelists (not even all missionaries are), but we have the Truth, the Good News, which is salvation to every man. We are to be known that we are Christians for our love. As someone who is in love with Christ, I want to love Him more every day and I want to love others as He has loved me. Through this others can know I love them because God loves me and has given me the grace to love them as He loves me. And, by the work of the Holy Spirit people will come to know God personally. It's being a missionary.
So, whether we are called to stay or go, we are called to live out the gospel wherever we are; to let the Lord reign in our hearts and lives and be obedient to Him. It's kind of like all those who aren't working officially with a ministry are tentmakers-missionaries who have a "real job" but use it as their ministry. We are all in this together, the Family, the BODY of Christ. "May we be brought to complete unity to let the world know that You sent Jesus and have loved us even as You have loved Him." John 17:23

No comments: