Friday, April 24, 2009

Another Busy Week in Costa

It's hard to believe I've only been here for a month. It feels like I've been here so much longer. Everything in the States seems so long ago, so far away. I'm pretty much settled into a routine here (YAAY routine!) and am continuing to learn and get to know life and people here.
Monday I had lunch with 2 other ladies from the LAM. One of them (Emilia) will do a little mentor program sort of thing with me that will hopefully help me as I continue to adjust to being here. The other (Sheila) is a really sweet lady that was at my LAM orientation last June. Yikes! I can't believe that was almost a year ago! My perception of time is so warped! Anyway, she made some DE-licious food. My favorite was the fresh pineapple, natilla (like runny sour cream), raisin, pecan, coconut salad. YUM!!
Sheila and her husband have a beautiful house-with a picture of the TETONS!!! One of their friends took a picture from the Chapel of Transfiguration and gave it to them. You might not know where that is. It's ok, Sheila didn't either. But I know EXACTLY where it is and have even been there. It is gorgeous!
Anyway, we had a really nice visit together. Emilia and I met up in Heredia centro and she gave me a ride to San Jose. We stopped at the language school first (Where Sheila and her husband work and where all the LAM missionaries who need to learn Spanish go) to see if Sheila was still there. Emilia gave me a little tour. I hadn't seen so many gringos since I was in Miami! Then we had our nice lunch and some really good conversation about what God has been doing in our lives. I'm looking forward to seeing Emilia and Sheila again in the future!
Wednesday night Ana, Josue and I went to see Samuel play in an orchestra concert. He is a really good cellist. (cello-ist? makes me think of jell-o) Anyway, Claudia and Rolando came too so it was nice to see them. Their siblings were very happy to see them too.
The concert was in the Teatro Nacional, which is based on the Paris opera house, but the scale is 4:1 in favor of Paris. It is a pretty intimate setting, but it is beautiful. The orchestra played a Brandenburg concerto (not the one from CivArts, but it was still great and had me thinking of Dr. Munson, tutti and key changes), a violin duet (that a guy and his grandson did together), and a symphony that a Costa Rican wrote. It was great. Made for a long day, but was definitely worth it.
So, there are most of the highlights for the week. Stay tuned for more!

No comments: