Saturday, April 18, 2009

¡Noche de disfraces! (Costume Night!)

Last night was a good ending to a long, tiring week. I won't go into why it was so long and tiring. I've just been struggling a little more to adjusting to life and work here. I've now been here 4 weeks (and 2 days), and I think the honeymoon period really has come to an end. I'm learning more about my expectations (I think I've been trying to expect too much of myself) and what is expected of me. So, it's been good. But as you probably know, we tend to grow and learn more through the harder things. Don't go away-there are pictures below!
Huellas (the leadership development/Bible Study class that I'm in) was really good on Tuesday night and tied in perfectly with all me recent thoughts about home. We talked about Abraham and how he obeyed God in faith-and then Rolando (my pastor-who teaches the class) pointed out that pretty much every time Israel got settled, God put it on the move again what with slavery and exile, etc. God's people have to trust Him and walk by faith, following Him wherever He leads, whenever He leads. What a blessing it is to know that not only am I not the only one who feels like a vagabond, but I am supposed to be a vagabond and I am part of a long history or vagabonds!!
So, last night was la noche de disfraces (costume night) for all the youth at church and it was SO much fun! I had a hard time figuring what to be-my resources here are pretty limited, but it is good to be living in a house with other young people, all of which are very creative. My costume ended up being my own idea though-a cowgirl! I knew it would be very fitting for me. A lot of people thought I was from Texas, but I told them I was a cowgirl from Wyoming. :-) Josué provided me with the shirt and vest, and Ana lent me the hat and boots. It was a great success and I was even in the running for the "who got the most claps and cheers for their costume" contest. They liked my bo-legged walking.
The first picture is me with Ana, my Honduran sister. She was a beauty queen of sorts. Too bad you can{t see more of her dress. it was a beautiful dark red. She made a sash that said "Miss Nobody" and the back part of it read "because nobody is perfect." It was great!
This next picture is of Josué (Ana's brother). He was Paul after he got stoned. Pretty drastic, huh? He had been growing his beard out just for this! He was in the running for the "best reason for choosing this costume" contest. He was Paul after he was stoned because Paul didn't give up during his trials and he even went and preached to the people who stoned him
The last one is Samuel, Ana's youngest brother. He was a mad scientist. There is a gauze wrapped "hand" with a syringe sticking out of it on the little platter he is holding. He came in second in the "who got the most claps and cheers for their costume" contest.
So, there was highlight of my week! Wish you could have been there too!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Carrie, that sounds like so much fun!

Blessings! Praying for you.