Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tico Tuesday, April 14th


Happy Tuesday!
This week's picture was taken on the plaza of my town, San Joaquin. (You may remember last week when I mentioned the mascarada taking place on the town plaza -the center of town that is basically a grassy field/park across the street from the Catholic church). They re-enact the crucifixion there every year. I'm still not sure if it's more a town event than a "church" event, though I'm not sure I can really make that distinction since Catholicism is so much a part of the culture here. Pretty impressive, huh?
Another brief note about San Joaquin- it is especially well known for its processions that take place throughout Holy Week to commemorate various people and events. (Many towns and cities have processions, San Joaquin's just tend to be more impressive.)

No comments: