Friday, June 26, 2009

Help?

I've decided. Help is a lame word. It is overused, undervalued and should probably just be removed from our vocabulary except for occasions when it would be exclaimed, as in "HELP!!!" Like you are carrying your grandmother's china set and 3 teacups are about to fall and shatter into 974 little pieces or you are hanging on to the side of a burning building with your fingernails and can't hold on much longer. But, I'm thinking about it-we say "I'd like to help," "Let me know if you need any help," "Can you help me?" etc. But, I've learned that most of the time when someone offers their help, they have the nicest intentions in the world, but they do not commit themselves to actually doing anything. You rarely hear "How can I help?" or "Tell me what I can do to help you out." Those are also acceptable uses. But if we're going to eliminate "help" from the vocabulary (which I think could do us a lot of good) we should use cooler words that are more powerful/specific, like contribute, give, do, assist, serve, bless, etc.
And "help" DEFINITELY should not ever be used in reference to anything with God. We certainly can do nothing to help Him (He chooses to use us-we just have to let Him), and He can't help us. If we ever try to do anything on our own we are doomed to fail (As one of the confessions for daily prayer reads "and there is no health in us"). So, even with God's "help," it's not possible for us to do anything. The replacement word there would be GRACE. With God's grace, things are indeed possible.
So there you have my weird little rant. If you really desire to get involved and do something constructive with your life to edify others, do it. I strongly encourage that. But don't just say empty things, even if they are nice. This goes for me too!!

No comments: