Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tico Tuesday, June 9

Today I just want to share a little portrait of life with you. As you may recall from previous e-mails, it's rainy season here in Costa Rica. We happen to have these gorgeous pink and red roses in front of the house and they just look lovely with rain droplets on them. You can't see them quite so well in this picture

(head to the blog for a close up and a couple other portraits of life here http://smithcj1.blogspot.com/), but I chose to send this one to you all because you can also see what my house looks like. The house (condo) in the background isn't mine because I took the picture from my front yard. But, it's basically a cookie cutter neighborhood, so almost all the houses are identical. So, now you at least have an idea of what my house looks like. Someday I'm going to take a lot of pictures and give you a virtual tour of my house. I'll let you know when it's done!
Have a blessed week!

Love,

Carrie

So our front yard (which is actually a space that is about 6ft x 6ft, so there's nothing there but pretty plants and a wee bit of grass to fill in the holes) has the beautiful roses. But the backyard is full of life too. Last week while I was bouncing on my trampoline I was looking out into the yard. I'd noticed a bird's nest before in between a drainpipish sort of thing and the roof and lo and behold I saw mommy and daddy birdies bringing food and baby birdy heads sticking up and opening their little beaks as

wide as craters to get food. One especially was elongating his neck so much I couldn't believe his head stayed connected to the rest of his body and retracted back to a normal form. They are so precious. I am watching them again this week and it is so fun to that they are already bigger and have more feathers.

I can distinguish now that there are three birdy heads that stick up from the nest, begging for food. Unfortunately you can see things very well in the picture, but at least you know what to look for.
The last little thing I want to share today is of a fun sight I saw out the front window of church last week. I looked outside and there on the other side of the street was a chicken, strutting along like anybody. It was one of those “when in Costa” kind of moments. I'm sure there are a lot of other places in the world where seeing a chicken on the side of the street is an everyday occurrence, and I'm sure it even happens in some areas of the States (though not where I have ever lived). But, it was just a funny moment for me and a reminder that I am in another world-one that I haven't grown up in and don't completely understand. Well, I'm not sure I can say I completely understand life in the States either, but I think you get my drift.

Thanks for reading and taking interest in my life!

1 comment:

Magi said...

It's fun to see the outside of where you live...looking forward to seeing the inside too!