Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hearing God Speak

This is an interesting and sometimes controversial topic, but I've been wanting to share my thoughts about it, so here we go.
I always wanted to hear God's voice. I can remember in middle school, when I was really starting to walk with God, that I really wanted to hear God speak. I'd heard people tell stories before of how God spoke to them, and I wanted that too. Let's just say my motives weren't so pure. But, I remember sitting there in the corner of my room, trying to imagine what God would say to me and how I could say it to myself and be convinced that it was really Him and not me. I wondered what it would be like, if I'd hear a voice, if it would really be audible...but I wanted to just hear something.
Over time a lot has changed. I've learned and grown a lot, thanks be to God. And I will be the first to admit I still have a LOOOOOOONG way to go. Now, I could go into the various ways in which God works and general and special revelation, but I'd rather just fast forward to the more recent past. I've come to realize a lot of times that God is telling me something when I really just thought of it as one of those "oh, the light bulb just went on" kind of moments. Credit must be given where credit is due. And I've also realized that God works in different ways in different people. So, what I'm saying is what has been true of my experience, but I believe God knows how to best get each of our attention. He might speak to you through dreams and not that way to me. And that's ok. He knows what He's doing-who are we to say how God can and can not work? Obviously it has to be in line with His Word and His character, but I don't want to get into any of the controversial stuff.
Anyway, more recently, there have been a few occasions in which God has clearly communicated to me. I haven't heard a voice, but something in me has made a few powerful, clear statements that have been incredibly encouraging and liberating.
What did God say? Yes, I will share that with you.

-The first one wasn't as clear a statement/phrase, but the promise was real. "Your home is with Me (and not on the earth)." If you have been a faithful reader for some time now, you will know that the whole home issue has been a big deal for me. I knew for a long time before this that my true home was with God, but e-mailing with another LAM missionary finally made me "get it." And what a blessing that has been! I can't wait to truly be home!
-The second came during worship at church one night, and hence was in Spanish, "Estoy dentro de ti." "I am inside of you." That was clear. It is way too easy to forget that the Holy Spirit is dwelling inside of me. What a powerful thing! And what a beautiful reminder that I am never alone!
-Next came "You are mine." I think this one came during my devotions one morning. So often I tell God, "I am Yours, I am ALL Yours." How much I actually mean it is under scrutiny, though I want to mean it with all my heart every time I say it. I know I have no right to me. But, to have that turned around and to have Him so clearly say to me "You are mine" blew me away. Yes, I have been bought with the blood of Jesus. He has every claim to me and He will NEVER let me go. Nothing can "pluck me out of the Father's hand" (John something: 24-25-I remember memorizing it in AWANA so many years ago. Ok it's John 10:28-29. I was close.) I am His beloved, adopted daughter. And since there is a song for everything, the song "You are Mine" by Third Day has become very dear to me, especially the chorus (in bold)

It doesn't take much
For my heart to break
And you have done it
For what's seems the millionth time

Whenever I hear
Of your saving grace
And how you gave your life
In exchange for mine

Sometimes I wonder why you even love me
And why you ever chose to call me child
Then I remember
It's by your sacrifice
I can say that
I am yours and you are mine

It doesn't take much
For me to shed a tear
And you have done so many things
To make me cry
Whenever I think
Of all that I've done wrong
And everything that you have done
To make it right

It doesn't take much
For my heart to break
And you have done it
For what's seems the millionth time

I know when the song says "you are mine" it is us saying God is ours, but it has still reminded me that God has said to me "you are mine." We love Him because He first loved us (1 John).
-The next one came while blowing my nose in the bathroom. I'm serious. God speaks at any time. I'm pretty sure I had been journaling or e-mailing someone, but God chose that moment to tell me, "He's not yours." Sound like there's a juicy story behind that? Don't you wish you knew. But if there is or not, it's not something I feel the need to share. I'll just say that God has been chipping away at a lot of things in my life I've been clinging to and really liberating me to be more content in Him. And it's brought me so much joy!

So, keep walking with God and keep your spiritual eyes and ears open, you never know when God has something important to impart!

No comments: